Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Coolant drain/flush/refill

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Prestone orange is compatible with Dex-cool.
But, I didn't think the you were supposed to mix green and orange.

There were also some "universal" types that could mix with both, but I've never tried it.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:28 PM

GM knew that Dexcool was crap but they didn't change because that would be admitting they knew there was a problem. Changing coolant every 2 years is much cheaper than ruining an engine.

Extended life coolants are gimmicks just like extended life oil and filters.

Here is a link to a Dexcool article. http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Don06
GM knew that Dexcool was crap but they didn't change because that would be admitting they knew there was a problem. Changing coolant every 2 years is much cheaper than ruining an engine.

Here is a link to a Dexcool article. http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

More proof of those that don't understand what maintenance means....
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Don06

That site really has no valid proof. Just one guys ranting and raving, with a few pictures you don't know the story on. For all I know those cars might have caught on fire and burned...that's almost what it looks like!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
That site really has no valid proof. Just one guys ranting and raving, with a few pictures you don't know the story on. For all I know those cars might have caught on fire and burned...that's almost what it looks like!

It's obvious you are an educated man, "Kid".....

I was wondering when someone would mention that fact; the article is not authored and dated (by the way, the info that IS PROVIDED is a bout 10 years old). It appears to be the internet garbage that many people refer to as ABSOLUTE GOSPEL (it was partially true 10 years ago). GM's formulation of Dexcool and the gasketing material has changed since then.

However GM, as mentioned in other threads on the topic, did have a serious problem with Dexcool and many credible articles are written on the topic.

I was not aware of the "fire" issue however.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I was not aware of the "fire" issue however.
What fire issue?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Oh no, I didn't mean that there is a fire issue. All I meant was some of the pictures shown look like the parts were subject to extreme heat. I was just joking like they were off of a car that had caught on fire or something, and it had nothing to do with the dex-cool.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your intent.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks for all the information here. Its appropriate for me right now, as my wife accidently poured winsheild washer fluid into the coolant reservoir.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
Thanks for all the information here. Its appropriate for me right now, as my wife accidently poured winsheild washer fluid into the coolant reservoir.
Yeah, might want to get that out of there!

Quick Reply: Coolant drain/flush/refill