"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Technical Moderator

Is he between 13 and 16?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by donbrew
Is he between 13 and 16?
not quite: this passenger is 8yo til end of March, but he acts like going on fourteen (:K ...we have two booster seats in back (often wish they were ejector seats, but really we do love our kids!)... And so far we don't let them distract us with video games
Old 03-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MrCatPC
Excellent news! Thanks, whopper. I may do a "quick" swap tomorrow after church, when the daylight isn't so scarce, just to have a solution for the short run. And really, my older son doesn't need to exit that door into street traffic anyway, right? (:K
I swapped the rear to the front, and left the rear door latch operated by a pair of zap straps hanging out of the opening while I repaired the cracked handle.

I was going to put the repaired one back in the rear door today, but it started snowing - and that's my sign to go inside and have a hot chocolate. :)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
...left the rear door latch operated by a pair of zap straps hanging out of the opening...
I'm handy with the zip ties (but you said zap straps, perhaps not the thing I'm thinking of, and don't read into "handy with zip ties" phrase too deeply, please) for bundling wires & even rigging a broken PC power switch once upon a time using 4 as a sort of brace. If you have a moment in the daylight, please snap me a picture of the rigged temporary rear door latch apparatus. I'd appreciate the visual aide, maybe it could buy me some time til the outdoor temp gets above freezing again this next week.

Snow stopped & started here several times today, and roads are semi-treacherous (mainly it's the drivers on the road causing the real danger), but my wife still found it amusing that she had to let me out of the HHR each time we stopped anyplace tonight. I assume this will gradually be less humorous as time wears on, but for now she has every opportunity to forget I'm still in the driver seat and walk away without me ("Geez, what's his problem? He's not getting out of the car, huh? Whatever.") Ha ha. So funny. Love her... especially since she does let me out (so far).

Not quite the same as hot chocolate, I enjoyed a frozen Coca-Cola ICEE as if that would bring back the warmer weather. Northern Midwest insanity. (:K ...will probably have some ice cream too...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

LOL - keep the tank full in case she leaves you in it overnight. Been snowing here since about 3pm - but accumulation is about .001" - hardly a snowfall at all, and nowhere near the 10" they say we might get tonight and tomorrow.

Yeah, zap-strap = zip-ties - same thing. Can't get a picture of it easily without pulling the panel off, however once the door handle and panel is removed I just used a short ZIP-tie to attach a long zip-tie to the end of the cable that was removed from the handle. The long zip-tie was threaded through the opening in the door panel as the panel was put back in place, leaving a long length of the tie hanging out so one can pull on it and open the door. Not at all elegant, but functional on a temporary basis. :) Once you take it apart, and free the handle from the cable, it will be quite apparent how to do it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks, whopper, that's exactly what I needed to know. If I attempt a similar rig I'll snap a picture for reference. If I can save enough money short-term on this repair, some better snow-traction tires have to go on before a new door handle, I could live with a rip-cord to let myself (or the kids) out of the car if it means it's at least functional for now.

Lately I'm more wary of being run off the road or rear-ended for low traction going uphill or turning from a stopped intersection. And our HHR's old tires are the most obvious culprit. With perhaps the low chassis and runningboards, in combination with slush & snow drifts/ruts. Same old winter stuff as ever. Like donbrew asked, if our boys were 13-16, I'd feel less guilty having them really handle the snow shoveling for us...

Last edited by MrCatPC; 03-01-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: autocorrect nonsense (:K
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Banned

Maybe I am missing something but why not just buy this: http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...le%2C%20inside

I mean $41 for a non-bondo'd part?! or am I missing something?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM

King Aires: that looks great, actually. Thanks very much for the source you linked, too.

I'm merely interested in a working driver door latch while a part's on order, since we're -13F in the morning sunshine now without a garage. (:K ...but I definitely prefer new to old parts when budget allows (this time it's a winter/safety issue, like needing a tire replacement suddenly on a Sunday afternoon when WalMart's the only shop open (which has also been a recent situation).

I have a connection with local auto recycler & may check used parts just for prices & comparison...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrCatPC
King Aires: that looks great, actually. Thanks very much for the source you linked, too.

I'm merely interested in a working driver door latch while a part's on order, since we're -13F in the morning sunshine now without a garage. (:K ...but I definitely prefer new to old parts when budget allows (this time it's a winter/safety issue, like needing a tire replacement suddenly on a Sunday afternoon when WalMart's the only shop open (which has also been a recent situation).

I have a connection with local auto recycler & may check used parts just for prices & comparison...
Oh I get ya on the cold... staring at struts, links, bushings and shocks that I really don't wanna love until the ice starts melting
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM

I'm currently freezing my knuckles off (:K ...pics to share when I'm done with this cheap rig (and really hope it works when all done, at least temporarily). I think original spirit of this thread was more along the lines of "how to fix ... for less than $10" like it says in title, but will be so glad, personally, to have a new handle on the way for legitimate replacement of the broken part. Wind chill makes it feel like -16F right now with the driver door open while I fish wire through to grab Zip-Ties through the opening (without removing the panel in snow & ice, would rather do that of course, but very fearful of destroying more plastic in these temps outdoors if I attempted to remove the interior panel). So we're doing the cheap yet difficult way. Wish me luck! ...and I am absolutely having a hot chocolate mug after all this. And then I should get back to the snow shovel before all the daylight is gone...

EDIT: Well it turns out that 8"-long 75lb load strength cable ties (zip-ties/zap-straps/etc.) do in fact snap easily into pieces when exposed to subzero frosty air (and pulled against spring-loaded leverage), so attaching them to the stump of my chrome handle's spring-loaded latch will not be a temporary solution after all. Go figure! When I have warmed myself with the HHR's heater sufficiently (can't feel my toes again yet), I'll sigh, roll down the window, unlatch the door from outside, roll it back up, then shut off the engine & call it a valiant first attempt. ...Suppose I could try rope or some other more-resilient fastener? Will still post pics of this misadventure on a separate thread, already think I've hijacked this one too much.

Back to original topic: I've spent ZERO dollars on this repair attempt so far, but I don't like the idea (in my present situation) of having to disassemble panels in the deep cold (and snow), for fear of further breakage. However I am curious: Does anybody have real world input on durability of the JB Weld in subzero stress, if anyone can elaborate, please? I'd weep if I put solid time into rebuilding this broken handle just to have it crack again in these conditions. Then I'd get over it and just order the replacement part, naturally. (:K

Last edited by MrCatPC; 03-06-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10