Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission fluid change is easy

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
No disagreeing here donbrew. You and I are just sharing thoughts,ideas,opinions,beliefs,experiences, etc.etc.etc.
That's what I meant by "dis-agreeing to agree":dancingapp le:

(just using up icons)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the write up, and the fluid amount, that seems to have ben the question for me, how many quarts so I can convert to litres here in the great white north
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 PM

The manual says 7.0 QT./6.6 L.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 AM
geg

well written
I add a little bit ..

Pan bolts should be tightened not much (there's recommended torque which I do not know).
Bolts should be tightened "after one", start with the first, then a third, then the fifth, and so on. This is done so as not to skew the Pan, it is thin.

If you do not scare the translation work, here is the link http://www.bigmotors.by/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=279
Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM

One last thing, when you simply drain and replace the fluid, there is fluid left in the valve body, torque converter and internal lines. The only way to get all this fluid out is to flush it out with a fluid exchanger. It also draws contaminants out that simple draining and refilling won't. Haven't done the HHR but on the other vehicles I've used the exchanger on, I pump all of the old fluid out with the machine, remove the pan, change the filter and gasket (if necessary), put the pan back on and fill the trans with the machine. Not trying to argue here but if you just drain and refill, you're not really doing a "transmission fluid change"; at least, not a complete one.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
geg

Originally Posted by db/sb
One last thing, when you simply drain and replace the fluid, there is fluid left in the valve body, torque converter and internal lines. The only way to get all this fluid out is to flush it out with a fluid exchanger. It also draws contaminants out that simple draining and refilling won't. Haven't done the HHR but on the other vehicles I've used the exchanger on, I pump all of the old fluid out with the machine, remove the pan, change the filter and gasket (if necessary), put the pan back on and fill the trans with the machine. Not trying to argue here but if you just drain and refill, you're not really doing a "transmission fluid change"; at least, not a complete one.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM

If I have my local mechanic do my tranny flush, will they most likely use a fluid exchanger? Is this something I need to inquire about when I speak to him about doing this job on my hhr? I would hate to think that they would just drain the old stuff and refill it and leave some of the old nasty stuff in there.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
When I had my mech. change I bought A new pan with the drain plug, pan and gasket from Napa about $6o.oo.
That would be my choice as well.

Especially at 100,000 miles and how many retightens on that plug??
I will probably make my first change at 75,000 depending on how long I plan to keep the car.

SF
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Anybody know if this is the same procedure on an auto tranny SS? I have been thinking about doing it. I just past 60,000, and like to be ahead of things like this, simply because I don't baby my car...
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM

When I had my mech. change the pan and gasket got home and it was leaking, so I bought another gasket and had him change and use the new gasket he charged me $70.00 to install the new gasket, no more leaks he stated I should go back to NAPA and claim warranty. never went back to him. I would never use the same old gasket just buy a new gasket.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change is easy