Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission fluid change is easy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by AceMan
I got a quote from a dealer yesterday for a tranny fluid change: $256.00
I would think that would be for full evacuation of the old fluid??
Chevy dealer here in town did a fluid exchange on mine for $180.00. I asked the service advisor afterwards how the filter looked since it had never been changed and had 85,000 miles on it. He told me that they never even pulled the pan since the filter didn't need to be changed at that mileage.............What? Since I now have 120,000 on the car now,think I'm going to do it again here soon myself and add one of those small ATP magnetic inline filters from Rock Auto along with the pan filter.I've already increased the capacity when I put on a cooler and I hate to see what the dealer would charge for the extra fluid and a filter. Want to keep the tranny in good shape since I tow my lightweight popup with it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Technical Moderator

There is a magnet on the pan. Sometime 2, they are those fridge magnets just stuck on the in side of the pan. When they flush the don't drop the pan, theoretically they clean the filter with a back flush.

The extra fluid in mine with a cheap cooler is only a few ounces. You don't have to go to a GM dealer to have your trans serviced.

Another oddity is that GM issued a TSB warning against using "flush" machines in general, and never engine oil flush. The only machines that GM wants to be used are the coolant exchange machine and the transmission cooler cleaning machine. Yet every Dealership I've been to wanted to flush my trans, my oil, my brake fluid and my power steering. I get the feeling the TSB is aimed directly at a couple of companies (BG?) that have a full line of "flushing" machines and provide the "checklist" to the service departments..
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Thank Desertrat for your info.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:35 PM

need help

I'm doing my transmission change on my 06 Chevy hhr 2.2 where do I refill the transmission fluid at on it??
Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Brideezzy
I'm doing my transmission change on my 06 Chevy hhr 2.2 where do I refill the transmission fluid at on it??
Welcome to the site Brideezzy.

One of the things we suggest around here is to use the Search function. I did and came up with this picture on the 1st try. Saves a lot of time waiting for someone to answer your questions.

Here you go:

Attachment 16216

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 AM

Thank you help me out a lot
Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome to the site Brideezzy.

One of the things we suggest around here is to use the Search function. I did and came up with this picture on the 1st try. Saves a lot of time waiting for someone to answer your questions.

Here you go:

Attachment 16216
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Doing this as we speak (type) pan is off, wiping it clean. I'm re-using the original gasket cause the filter came with a paper gasket which isn't near the same thickness as the original and from what i have read, the paper ones leak.The capacity of the pan would change if i used the paper gasket, by at least a half a quart- Im guessing. My 2011 gasket has steel spacers built into the gasket, so it would be kinda tuff to over tighten ( not impossible though,)The pan bolts were somewhat snug to begin with ( guessing 10 to 14 foot lbs) I have a inch pound torque wrench and i'll look up the specs if available online (youtube?)
I'll fill it with 6.9 quarts, warm it up thru the gears do the oil level plug thing check w/11 mm bolt. Some filters dont even come with a new gasket, others come with a thin paper one. my parts guys says if i have the rubber gasket with the steel spacers built in, its reusable ( in most cases, unless broken) and if it's broken , to get one from a GM dealer. My is definetly re-usable. It's stuck to the pan and wiped clean and ready to re-install. had to come online to check fluid capacity.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Technical Moderator

Read the first 4 pages of this thread, I'm pretty sure all is covered, including torque.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 AM

All finished. no runs no drips no errors.
Mine took a full 7 quarts. At first i thought maybe one of the quarts wasnt full but after a few minutes i figured it out. The garage floor has a slope to it and the car was tilted off center. The right front was higher than the left front on the car ramps.
I let air out of the right front tire till the car was level and the extra 3 ounces of fluid ran out. Aired up the tire then went for a drive. Everything is good.
Filter $15
Fluid $33
$48 total. Oh and some soak up on the floor, it made a mess.
2 cold ones afterwards
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Technical Moderator

How did you get that deal on Dex VI? My employee price is more than that.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change is easy