Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

XM and P.A.L. install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM

XM and P.A.L. install

I just bought an 08 HHR and it did not have XM from the factory. I am having the dealer upgrade the radio to XM and having a P.A.L. installed too. They can get the XM to work OR the P.A.L. to work but not both at the same time. They are in contact with Chevrolet but so far Chevy has been no help. Has any one else done this and if so who did the work?? I would like to be able to point my dealer to someone who is knowledgeable about this install. THANKS!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by jzr28
I just bought an 08 HHR and it did not have XM from the factory. I am having the dealer upgrade the radio to XM and having a P.A.L. installed too. They can get the XM to work OR the P.A.L. to work but not both at the same time. They are in contact with Chevrolet but so far Chevy has been no help. Has any one else done this and if so who did the work?? I would like to be able to point my dealer to someone who is knowledgeable about this install. THANKS!!!
A message from GM about on month or more ago stated do not add the PAL and XM due to compatability concerns until GM worked out a fix. The dealer should of known this.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
A message from GM about on month or more ago stated do not add the PAL and XM due to compatability concerns until GM worked out a fix. The dealer should of known this.
THANKS!!! Called the dealer and they said Chevy had told them the same thing this morning. This is a pretty good site!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Founding Member

Here is the original posting. See post #38.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=12882&page=4

I'm sure they will get this worked out sooner or later.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM

so if i'm reading this correctly....if you had your XM installed at the factory...you can have the PAL installed. If XM was added at the dealership...then you cannot have PAL installed.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by JeffsHHR
so if i'm reading this correctly....if you had your XM installed at the factory...you can have the PAL installed. If XM was added at the dealership...then you cannot have PAL installed.
Correct! I had no problems at all.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JeffsHHR
I know this is an old posting, but for future reference, my XM was factory and I installed the PAL myself. I have horrible problems with XM constantly switching from whatever channel I'm on to XM0 for a second and then back. BTW, the PAL instructions were backwards and I can't find out anything from GM about any fix in the future. A pretty damn shotty accessory, and you have to drill holes and solder wires making it hard to return to stock.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by sweet_william
I know this is an old posting, but for future reference, my XM was factory and I installed the PAL myself. I have horrible problems with XM constantly switching from whatever channel I'm on to XM0 for a second and then back. BTW, the PAL instructions were backwards and I can't find out anything from GM about any fix in the future. A pretty damn shotty accessory, and you have to drill holes and solder wires making it hard to return to stock.
Who did the original programming after you installed the PAL? My install did not require any drilling. There is updated programming that will fix this issue.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...2882&page=7#62
Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 PM

Got it working

HI all - I have not been here for a while and came back to update my email address. I did finally get the P.A.L. installed but the dealer took it to a stereo place to have it done. It seems to be working OK. It has quite a bit of lag in it going from XM to iPod but not too bad. Mine also seems to stop every now and then and say Ipod disconnected when it really isn't but that does not happen very often. Just some FYI :).