Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My map lights won't turn off!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 AM

Unhappy My map lights won't turn off!

This morning, I noticed the map lights in the rear view mirror were on. I can't turn them off. The switches under the mirror do nothing. Even with the car off, key out they stay on. I'm at work, and out in the parking lot the lights are on. Any clue?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 AM

temporarily pull the fuse and get it checked by the dealer asap.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM

They do light up when u get in and out of the car wait around 10 minutes and should go off.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
They do light up when u get in and out of the car wait around 10 minutes and should go off.

Nope. There on all the time. All day, all night.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Founding Member

I believe the door ajar switch is built into the latch and we have replaced a fair amount of them lately for different reasons. I don't recall a map light staying on issue though.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM

OK, this happened to me and after an hour of trying to take fuses off, cursing, etc., I finally RTM and realized that I had moved this knob (inadvertantly ) all the way to the "right" and this kept the lights on permanently. So once I moved it back to the left some (you'll feel it "unlock"), all was well!

Hopefully this is it!
(yes, I am a dork and went outside and took this pic! )
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Although it took just a sec to find out, whenever the boys wash my car, They always turn that chingas to the right like that. Sometimes, it goes the other way and I dont have dash lights!. Seems that when they wipe the dash down it happens.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by afs9
OK, this happened to me and after an hour of trying to take fuses off, cursing, etc., I finally RTM and realized that I had moved this knob (inadvertantly ) all the way to the "right" and this kept the lights on permanently. So once I moved it back to the left some (you'll feel it "unlock"), all was well!

Hopefully this is it!
(yes, I am a dork and went outside and took this pic! )
Ahhhhhh..... Thanks, I was fooling with that yesterday, in the daylight and felt it's detente and left it there. I'll check when I leave work.

If that's it, I get the dork o'day award. (and you my hero for saving me from taking it to the dealer)
Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Ahhhhhh..... Thanks, I was fooling with that yesterday, in the daylight and felt it's detente and left it there. I'll check when I leave work.

If that's it, I get the dork o'day award. (and you my hero for saving me from taking it to the dealer)
I'm the resident dork!
I played around with it so much, I actually pushed one of the buttons into the mirror trying to turn the light off--now I have to take it in to get it popped out.

Like I told someone else, what frosted my butt was after I spent all this time trying to figure it out, my sister, who has an 07 Tahoe said, "oh, I was going to suggest checking that knob!"

Let us know if that's it!

@
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Yes folks, Doofus of the day goes to me.

I talked to my wife about it, because she was driving it after dark last night, and the rear dome light was on and she couldn't get it off. She went around back and turned it to off. I only noticed because it's still a little dark when I leave in the morning.

So... rotating the dimmer switch fully right until it "clicks" (really doesn't click). Turns all the inside lights on all the time.

This is good to know since it doesn't use the reserve power thing and will drain the battery.

Hey... new car new stuff to learn. Could have been worse.
(Like taking it to the dealer)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My map lights won't turn off!