"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding radio buttons on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:03 PM

i dunno, i havebnt done it yet, just ordered the parts today. I think you just use the allen to push, i am not sure
Old 05-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Arrow Adding Radio Button Photos

Edit: 7/10/06 to put in instructions for blondes like me.
Kudos to CH and MikeX for answering my dumb questions during install.

Before starting, you may want to disconnect the negative battery cable, but that is a personal decision.

1. Eat your wheaties and take 2 of these before starting.
If you smoke...take your cigarettes with you...you're gonna need them to calm your nerves.
2. Put the switch assembly into the new cover and make sure everything snaps into place.
3. Insert an allen wrench or other small metal object straight into one of the little holes and push towards center of the steering wheel and you will feel the clip move, that holds the horn assembly in place.
4. Apply pressure to the allen wrench/metal tool, holding it in place with one hand and use other hand to apply pressure inward until clip holding it in place releases. Clip is made out of metal, so it takes some strength in order for it to release. (This is why you needed the wheaties. )
5. Once enough pressure is applied, the clip will free itself and then you can do the same thing to the other side.
6. Once both sides are free, let the horn assembly hang by the wires during remainder of this process.
7. Take a phillips screwdriver and remove the covers from both sides...trust me, it makes things much easier to work with.
8. Once you have these out, you will be able to remove the harness ends much easier. Have the new harness handy, so you can see the 3 harness ends you need to remove from the steering assembly. The ones that go behind the brackets are a PITA to get through the steering column hole, so cut those hummers off and save yourself a lot of aggravation.
9. Using a small screwdriver or other metal object, gently lift up on the retainer that holds the last harness end in and pull it straight towards you until it has freed itself. Throw it as far as you can...it will make you feel better. Have another cigarette.
10. Plug all the harness ends into their corresponding places.
11. Put the switch covers back into their respective places and tighten them down. Then stash the wires back into the open areas on each side so they are out of the way.
12. Take horn/airbag assembly and gently push it back into place until you hear it snap into place and you are done, unless you disconnected the battery cable.

Turn the igniton and radio on and test to make sure everything works. Mine did and I nearly fell out of my HHR. This mod is great and I love it already. My boyfriend was totally amazed when he came back home and found that I had actually accomplished this task. He was there when I started, but I told him to leave, as he was making me very nervous and I didn't think he needed to learn any more swear words than he already knows.

Now...on to the install photos provided by steiny.

Last edited by courthousedeb; 07-10-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Where should the new wiring harness plug into, each end?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the help.

You must replace the old harness with the new one and just add the new switch.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 AM

Got mine ordered, can't wait!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM

I con confirmation from GM parts direct today. All parts are back ordered. Uggh.. LOL i guess all the HHR nuts are ordering them..
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaysz2893
I con confirmation from GM parts direct today. All parts are back ordered. Uggh.. LOL i guess all the HHR nuts are ordering them..
LOL - yep, parts ain't showin in-stock. I just put in my order. But he gave me a priority code so I'll get mine before anyone else.

Just kidding. They are backordered though.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
LOL - yep, parts ain't showin in-stock. I just put in my order. But he gave me a priority code so I'll get mine before anyone else.

Just kidding. They are backordered though.
Anyone have any idea when they will have them? Did you order online or call them direct?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM

Went to the dealer. No parts to be had. Ordered. Went home sad.

Who let this secret out?

Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Went to the dealer. No parts to be had. Ordered. Went home sad.

Who let this secret out?

Bummer...maybe we can talk Mike from SoCalHHR's into stocking these.

Quick Reply: Adding radio buttons on steering wheel