General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Keyless entry help

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Talking Keyless entry help

Hello Guys,

I need some help. I just bought a 2009 HHR LT about 3 days ago. It was pre owned so all I got was the keys. The sales man told me that he believes the car could have a keyless remote but he is not sure since the previous owner just gave them the keys. I want to know if there is a way to find out if the car already comes with the keyless remote or not... The car has automatic door locks and automatic windows..What shocked me from this car is that the passenger side does not have a key hole so this weekend when I took my girl out I looked like an idiot trying to manually open the door on her side only to find out there was no keyhole it can only be opened from the driver side...

Thanks

John...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 AM

You should have keyless entry
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reply greybeard99... Where can I get the remote control and how do I program it? Also how much will it be at the dealer?

Thanks

John
Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 AM

I haven't had to get this done myself, I'm going on what I've read...... I think dealer pricing is all over the map on this so call around. Some include programing with the price, others may charge for the fob and for the programing. They are sold on ebay also but the dealer (possibly a locksmith???) will have a programing charge on top of this, so it may not be such a great deal going that route. I don't think an individual can program a key fob like you can the keys themselves (keys are chipped now too) so that's why you may be taking a trip to the dealer regardless.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 AM

How do I confirm that my car does have keyless entry?? The reason I am asking is I am afraid to take the trip to the dealer and them selling me an FOB and pay for the programming and then they tell me it was not keyless and now they want to charge me diagnosis cost of $50.00.. can I look at it myself to confirm if all I need is to get the FOB and the programming is there a way to tell?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM

I may be mistaken but I think they all have keyless entry, but remote start is an option (the option code for remote start is AP3, found on the sticker inside the glove box) Was yours a previous rental?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Go to E-bay I got 3 from there for different vehicles and models it comes with the fob and full directions on how to program. Dealers will charge 3X what you will have in it and do the same thing
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Have the dealer run the VIN they should do that for free and that will tell then if yours is keyless or not
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Talking

The ones I got from E-bay came with a BLANK chipped Key that you could have made to fit your car. Walmart is now getting the eq to make chipped keys. The fob though with NOT interfere with a chipped key. My wife programmed 2 of the 3 I got from E-bay I love my wife but even she said she was surprised she was able to do it without a problem. They also have tech support that will walk you through it on the phone. Don't pay too much!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Yes my car was a rental according to the carfax I received from the dealer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry help