Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

shifter stuck/sticks

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 AM

shifter stuck/sticks

I have a 2007 hhr 2lt. Just recently the shifter (auto) will get stuck in park. I have searched all over on here and the web and my problem seems to be different than everyone with a stuck shifter. My keys do not stick. Ignition is fine. I also hear the click noise in the column when I push the button. I replaced the switch at the brake pedal.
with mine I have to push the button in a gazillion times until it releases. Now this is weird. I can put it in park then shut the key off, press the button on the shifter and put it in neutral. I have been doing this for a week or two. Yes I put the e-brake on.
If I accidentally forget to do this and throw it in park then walk away I am back to square one fighting with the shifter. Sometimes I get lucky and it works on the first try. I have 69000 on the car so GM says they won't do anything warranty wise. I don't know if there was ever a tsb for this or a recall.
The dealer tells me it will be $100 minimum to diagnose it. That it will probably be a couple hundred dollars to diagnose and fix. ugh.
I am hoping someone here might have an answer and solution I can do on my own.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM

@DjLBM, if you would like to provide me with your VIN, I would be happy to research recall information for you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

You need a new shifter assembly. If you have no extended warranty then I would buy the newer shifter that came out in 2008 with the leather boot. There are no recalls for the shifter.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Any idea how much it might cost to replace the assembly? Honestly this thing has been the biggest POS I have ever owned. It has so many problems its ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM

safety lock

My problem was more simple. I simply could not take it out of Park.

As a safety feature, you can't shift out of Park unless you step on the brake. After you step on the brake, you should hear a click. This click means the safety lock was released. Then you press the shifter button and hear another click to move the shifter freely. So there are two things put in place to keep you from shifting to another gear accidentally - the brake pedal and the shifter knob button. My shifter knob button was making the clicking noise, but the brake wasn't making the noise.

After removing all the plastic panels in the center waterfall between the driver side and passenger side, I was able to see the mechanisms of the shifter. Pressing the shifter button basically drops this metal locking pin so that you can move the shifter freely. However, there is a black plastic lever that prevents that pin from dropping unless you step on the brake first. This is the safety lock. The little black plastic lever is towards the bottom of the shifter assembly on the left side and you can only see it if you take out all the panels. If you press the shifter button and it clicks, you can see metal pin moving down but being stopped by this black plastic piece. Stepping on the brake is supposed to move the plastic piece to the metal pin can drop down fully.

Name:  W374N.png
Views: 692
Size:  163.4 KB

Sorry if it's hard to see in the photo, but you can kind of make out the small pin that drops down and the black plastic piece that keeps it from dropping.

Luckily for me, I just checked all wires while I was taking things apart to make sure they were not loose and my brake was finally allowing me to shift again. So I think one of my cables was just loose. But if that doesn't fix it for you, you can consider taking the shifter assembly apart and just removing the safety lock altogether so that it doesn't require the brake to release it. This comes at the risk of safety, of course.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to vwbyoy88 for the original pic I took from here:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/shifter-assembly-question-23612/
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I would buy the newer shifter that came out in 2008 with the leather boot.
Aaah, actually that newer version began for the 2009 model year.. Cause I don't have one yet..
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM

I know this is an old thread, but my 09 HHR LT 2.2L auto is starting to do this. It is definitely more noticeable in colder temps. Is this covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain. I looked at the list in the sticky to what is covered, but not sure what I am looking for. Please advise. Thanks in advance, Jim
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

My 08 doesn't have the boot either, but it shifts smoother than my 09 that does have the leather boot, I think this fix is coming soon for the SS.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

adapt an aftermarket shifter with a trans brake....
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jimpennjr
I know this is an old thread, but my 09 HHR LT 2.2L auto is starting to do this. It is definitely more noticeable in colder temps. Is this covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain. I looked at the list in the sticky to what is covered, but not sure what I am looking for. Please advise. Thanks in advance, Jim
Hello,
my 2010 hhr (2.2) is doing the same thing (only in colder temps)... I have to depress the shifter button like 10times to get it into reverse (or any other gear for that matter)did you ever figure out the cause??? I talked to someone at a dealership who said it may be a solenoid going bad

Quick Reply: shifter stuck/sticks