The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM is Again the World's Largest Automaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Smile GM is Again the World's Largest Automaker

I was pleased to see this on the news the other day. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate Toyotas or any other Japanese garbage for that matter. Don't even get me started on that subject. Only 3 options as far as I'm concerned: GM, Ford, or Dodge.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan...sales-20120120

January 20, 2012 - By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times

Less than two years after emerging from bankruptcy,General Motors Co.has regained the title of the world's largest automaker.

GM's worldwide sales rose 7.6% to 9 million vehicles in 2011. The Detroit manufacturer last held the top spot in 2007 before it was surpassed byToyota Motor Corp.the next year.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Founding Member

Nice.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Deceased

Even though VW is whining in the European press about actually being the largest car maker in the world, GM has to be applauded for its recovery from the brink of disaster.

Although there have been casualties like Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer, and most recently SAAB...imagine what the automotive world would be like with no GM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Don't forget Saturn......
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
I was pleased to see this on the news the other day. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate Toyotas or any other Japanese garbage for that matter. Don't even get me started on that subject. Only 3 options as far as I'm concerned: GM, Ford, or Dodge.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan...sales-20120120

January 20, 2012 - By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times

Less than two years after emerging from bankruptcy,General Motors Co.has regained the title of the world's largest automaker.

GM's worldwide sales rose 7.6% to 9 million vehicles in 2011. The Detroit manufacturer last held the top spot in 2007 before it was surpassed byToyota Motor Corp.the next year.

AMEN to that. American is the only choice for me. Ive always supported American made. Im sure my time in the ARMY made me love American even more, but still I feel that people need to realize that American cars are great and they need to forget the idea that Japanese and Euro cars are "super cars" that get great MPGs and "Never" break down. People tend to forget that anything mechanical eventually breaks down....don't mater if its a Chevy, Honda, BMW or a freaking LAMBO. I'm proud of the BIG THREE for improving so much after struggling for almost 30 years, they dug themselves out of a deep hole and now they are kicking ass. Way to go!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm sure everyone is aware of in which country the HHR built?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I'm sure everyone is aware of in which country the HHR built?
Yes I know it was built in Mexico. I understand not EVERYTHING is "built" in the USA. But its still a American car regardless.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Just curious.....at what level of vehicle content would you consider a vehicle NOT American? Or is it just that, for now, GM is an American Company (headquartered, listed, etc. as...)??

But on topic. I'm glad to see this OBVIOUSLY for personal reasons. I'm just hoping GM can MAINTAIN this status in about a year or two. The Japanese companies will be back to full production and supply before then. Then that will be the proof.

And, don't let that article kid you. It has been, and still is, very important to GM psychologically and structurally, to be #1. Of course, being #1 in PROFITS is also important.

You want to see something neat....look at any financial web site and look up GM and compare financial records with the competition.

Last edited by Snoopy; 01-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM

I guess the way I see it, a GM vehicle might not be made in America, but it is still made by employees of GM, an American company. Just like a Toyota vehicle might be made in America, but it is still made by employees of Toyota, a Japanese company. GM is an American company, Toyota is not, regardless of where each company makes their vehicles. The profits from GM vehicles go into the American economy. And, the profits from Toyota vehicles go to Japan, not the US. If GM would shut down and close its doors, it would have a devastating effect on the US economy. If Toyota would shut down and close its doors, it would be devastating to the Japanese economy, but not the US (aside from Toyota dealerships/plants closing). So you can understand where I'm coming from now, right? I can understand some see it differently, but this is my logic/reasoning.

Politics aside, its nice to see GM is making a comeback. An American success story in this troubled economy is a good thing, a welcome sight. I couldn't be happier with my HHR, so with that said, my next vehicle will be a Chevrolet/other GM brand.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
I guess the way I see it, a GM vehicle might not be made in America, but it is still made by employees of GM, an American company. Just like a Toyota vehicle might be made in America, but it is still made by employees of Toyota, a Japanese company. GM is an American company, Toyota is not, regardless of where each company makes their vehicles. The profits from GM vehicles go into the American economy. And, the profits from Toyota vehicles go to Japan, not the US. If GM would shut down and close its doors, it would have a devastating effect on the US economy. If Toyota would shut down and close its doors, it would be devastating to the Japanese economy, but not the US (aside from Toyota dealerships/plants closing). So you can understand where I'm coming from now, right? I can understand some see it differently, but this is my logic/reasoning.

Politics aside, its nice to see GM is making a comeback. An American success story in this troubled economy is a good thing, a welcome sight. I couldn't be happier with my HHR, so with that said, my next vehicle will be a Chevrolet/other GM brand.
Exactly! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quick Reply: GM is Again the World's Largest Automaker