Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Cruise Control

The cruise control on my SS is giving me an intermittent problem.
Fire it up and drive, no problem; if I shut it off at a long stop light I I have to drive for a few miles before it will engage again, sometimes. I took my son to the airport this morning, shut it off, and threw the key on the dash to unload and when we headed for the freeway the cruise would not engage. It did not engage again until after I shut the motor off and restarted after leaving the highway. It has never given me a problem after a normal shutdown (pull key, get out, close the door and walk away).
Have you ever had such a problem?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM

1st check you third brake light bulbs. You may have a couple of bulbs with bouncing broken filaments making intermittent contact. If the 3rd brake light is not working properly-you cruise will not also. They are connected through your brake light switch under the top of your brake peddle.

If all the lights are fine, next is to check the brake light switch. The switch is made of plastic and works with a little plastic lever connected to the upper brake peddle.

I know this because my brake light switch started to go bad. Cruise stopped working, as well as the shifter interlock famous "click" stopped when stepping on the brakes when first starting the car. Switched was changed-problem never came back. Cruise works again & "click" is there again like it should be.

Your SS switch is a little different than my LS, here is yours:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...C12450036.html
Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Brake Light Switch

Thanks Black for your response:

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
1st check you third brake light bulbs...

All four third brake light bulbs burn bright and I cannot get them to blink. The regular brake lights function normally.

If all the lights are fine, next is to check the brake light switch...

The switch seems to function properly; the brake lights work fine and the cruise is disconnected with a light touch of the brake pedal.

I know this because my brake light switch started to go bad. Cruise stopped working, as well as the shifter interlock famous "click" stopped when stepping on the brakes when first starting the car...

My SS has a stick, so I have to depress the clutch to start and that uses a separate switch.

Switch was changed--problem never came back. Cruise works again & "click" is there again like it should be.

Thanks for the link, but I could not find a switch that was compatible with an SS. My switch seems to be working correctly. Too bad, it would have been a cheap fix...