Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rough ride with Gold-Line springs and TTR swaybar; need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Question Rough ride with Gold-Line springs and TTR swaybar; need advice

As you can see in my signature, I have a 2006 2LT with Gold-Line leveling springs and a TTR rear swaybar that I installed just under a year ago (link). At the time I installed the springs, which I purchased used, I also installed shorter rear shocks that came with the springs. I didn't notice a rough ride at first, but for the past several months (at least) I've noticed that the dang thing rides like a truck over any kind of bumps, including slight bumps in the road or even in the parking ramp at work at a few MPH. It's absolutely jarring.

Suspension isn't my thing. What should I be looking at as the cause and solution? Does the TTR rear sway bar make things so dang stiff that it's like having no suspension at all? I didn't notice it at first, but I may have just ignored it because I was more excited about the cornering. Could it just be that the rear shocks are shot and need to be replaced? If so, what do y'all recommend for replacements that won't break the bank that will work with the shorter springs? Or is it the springs themselves?

I don't particularly want to go back to the stock suspension, but it's gotten to the point where I can't stand the way everything gets shaken around just going over small dips and bumps, low speed or high.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

look for any leaks on the actual shock itself..that will say if u need new ones....if its becoming really bouncy then most likely you will need new shocks, are you on fe1 or fe3 suspension? If its fe1 those shocks wont last long with the lowerin springs. I would suggest replacing them with the fe5 suspension found on the SS or the fe3 which is found on some LT's as well. (Again LT's could have fe1 also) or go after market with KYB shocks. Those goldlines are hard on the shocks so there lifespan will be shorter on stock suspension.
If you do go fe5 (SS) be prepared for a stiff ride since its more of a performance ride
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM

The car came with the FE3 suspension (part of the 2LT package) but the stock rear springs and shocks were replaced. The springs are the Gold-Line leveling springs, and I honestly don't know what the shocks are -- they're shorter than stock and are whatever the previous owner of the springs was using. I'll check them out once things dry up from the spring thaw here. I haven't noticed "bouncy" as much as just plain harsh over even small bumps.

I was kinda wondering if the TTR swaybar alone could be causing the harsh ride. I can remove it pretty easily to test (just four bolts) but wanted to get some feedback here first before I started doing any work. For my driving needs, a smooth ride is more important than awesome cornering, so if any/all of this stuff needs to go I can live with that.

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear from anyone else with suggestions.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

honstly its most likely the springs and / or the shocks. The sway bar is only for "sway" it doesnt have much effect on the down force that the shocks and springs deal with over speed bumps or pot holes etc. If you want a smooth ride, i would suggest getting rid of those springs and going with something else less harsh. go back with the stock fe3 suspsension or if uyou want really smooth then go fe1. But if you're still looking for the lowered look, you will experience a more stiff ride,, but it also depends on what company you go with for springs. Lots of people have switched to the YYZ springs, they lower but keep decent spring rate for a smooth ride. lots of threads on here about the YYZ springs. Give that a look over
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Okay, good info. I'll check the shocks as soon as I get a chance. It wouldn't cost a fortune to replace them, and I could even throw the stock ones back on for awhile. I don't like the idea of the springs being able to fall out on a massive bump because of the longer shock extension on the stockers, but most of my driving is short trips in town so there's not much risk there. If the ride is better with those, then I can track down some shorter replacements. If it's still harsh, it's a couple hours or less to swap the stock springs back in.

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

good upgrade choice...not sure if in your price range at the moment but this is the fe5 and yyz springs as a package ready to install
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/HHR-...51246C972.aspx
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Thanks, but I'm definitely not in the market for any major upgrades at this point. Too many projects around the house that demand my time and funding. New shocks are one thing, but a whole new suspension isn't on my radar. Good info for the future, though!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Administrator

harsh ride and stiff suspension issues, like noted above, could be springs or shocks, most likely shocks, but here's a thought, were the bump stops cut when you installed the Goldlines?? could be a contact issue resulting in a harsh ride. Also remove one shock at a time and inspect for leaks and ease of compression, if you can make one or both shorter, and it stays shorter than replace them both.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Yes, the bump stops were cut (pre-cut bump stops came with the springs and shocks). If the weather cooperates, I'll pull the shocks this weekend for inspection. Finally time to get the snow tires off anyway, so it's a good time to do it.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Administrator

keep us posted!! if they are leaking check these out not a bad price!!

www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50159

Quick Reply: Rough ride with Gold-Line springs and TTR swaybar; need advice