Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

The "New Look" ChevyHHR.net & coming changes..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Deceased

Arrow The "New Look" ChevyHHR.net & coming changes..

OK gang, here's the deal behind the changes that were made to the "Logged On" and "Logged Off" versions of our little home here on the Web resulting in a slightly unplanned "New Look" ChevyHHR.net...and 311 really grumpy e-mails in my In-Box.

The ads down the right side of the page in the "Logged Off" state, that's when you're just popping in for a quick peek without logging in, well they're here to stay.

As I mentioned a few days ago, the health of our site is reflected in the number of companies who wish to advertise here, hence the need for more room.

Now the Development Team in California sort of "jumped the gun" and made changes to the "Logged In" version of the site way earlier than planned, so in the next few days those changes will be reversed and you'll see the "Same Old Loveable" ChevyHHR.net when you log in.

Now, that all being said, we are about six months or so out from a total redesign of the site due to the vBulletin Software(Our Site's Operating System) getting a total refresh and update. If you scroll down to the bottom of the Homepage, you'll see that the Jelsoft Enterprises vBulletin Software we use is something that originally dates to the year 2000. With continual updates over the past fifteen years, but no overhauls.

It's still working, but with newer browsers coming into use like Microsoft's Windows 10, etc. We, speaking as the corporate entity known as Internet Brands, and as one of their "Standard Bearer" Automotive Forums, realize now is time for a major upgrade.

I've seen a "Screenshot" of what is coming in early 2016, and it's in a non-functional Beta Form, so I couldn't do much more than really give it a good looking over...and there will be some changes made based on the input of the Internet Brands family of Automotive Forums.

But, even though I can't share it with you at the moment. I feel confident that you, our valued Members will find it not only easier to use, but much faster and functional too.

Those of you who were Members here in late 2012 and early 2013, will remember the odd glitches and things going slightly goofy as we added new content like our Custom Linked Google Search Facility. Well we're on the cusp of a new era featuring a ChevyHHR.net that will blow your socks off!

So stay tuned as they say, more details to come as 2015 rolls along. And to all of you, my Staff of Moderators, and Members both Veteran and Brand Spanking New, thanks in advance for you patience and understanding as we all embark upon not only a new era, but our second decade on the Web.

Mike M./843de
Your Administrator

Last edited by 843de; 10-09-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:30 AM

Thanks 843de for ur hard work as I would like this site to be a bit easier to use.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Technical Moderator

Interesting keyboard drop out there; "non-unctional". Not anointed.

Some of the other boards I use have an entirely different look and feel; I think it's because of updated vBulletin. Or maybe just because they are new enough that things haven't gotten kluged yet.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Well, thanks for the warning at least we know to expect changes. They have the ability to improve the site, then great improve it, make it faster and more user friendly
I look forward to these improvements!
Thank you , Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 AM

I rarely have to log in, I have not noticed the past changes.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by donbrew
Interesting keyboard drop out there; "non-unctional". Not anointed.
Oh fine, just pick on a guy when his "f" breaks, that's the problem with the world today. Nobody gives an "f" when you really need one.

Thankfully I had a can of "Fix-A-F", otherwise I'd be really embarrassed.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Administrator

You guys are so, unny!! Arn it's took my f away! An my D
Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Deceased

I looked in my parts boxes Oldblue, I've got an "f" and a "D", but they're off of another keyboard so you might have to pound on 'em with a hammer to make 'em fit.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Noticed something with this new, temporary, odd looking page format.
On the homepage, there is no longer a link for signing up as a Premium member.

Now if I was a site owner and looking for a little income, I would be sure my membership would have an easy link to "upgrade" to the Premium membership.

Also.There should be a Vendor list.
Currently there is a Vendor directory that has no listings. Not sure what's up with that. I KNOW we have vendors here.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I concur, the vendors here should be our first to view when we want to get a part or accessory.
The premium membership is also important as we help keep the lights on here with our fees.

Quick Reply: The "New Look" ChevyHHR.net & coming changes..