SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2.0L Issues speak up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM

Yeah, I realize that now. Thanks, any thoughts on the Powerstop K26 street warrior rotors/pads, anyone you know that has tried them? Very few reviews to go by. Superchips tuner? Any horror stories, I have not had any issues, just curious.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM

I had an engine swap done on my HHR SS at Durand in Hudson MA and the turbo system has been off ever since. They won't acknowledge my claim so it needs work ASAP.
Pre-engine swap = boost system was perfect, afterwards = engine runs great but starts making boost then bonks to 0psi, no power from pedal until I lift and try again. Was bonking at anything over 10-15, now it bonks whenever it gets over 5psi. It's an ongoing problem that's gotten progressively worse until now it's almost completely un-boost-able.
It's 1 of 3 things. Turbo itself, probably not, it makes no unusual noises, was smooth power until bonking, now almost no power over 5psi but still no unusual noise. Wastegate or bpv - probably
Local Cobalt SS group on FB says the bpv is the likely culprit.
Anyone had similar symptoms that had a ripped bpv diaphram?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Anyone else's 2008 SS get the porous block that leaked coolant?
Mine kept losing coolant for about 10K miles but didn't display where it went.
It got an oil change at 99K and it looked perfect.
At 100,800 miles it had orange oil. 800 miles over the extended warranty.
GM replaced it for free and called it a courtesy repair.
They offered me a 3 month warranty limited to the engine swap for $3000.
No thanks.

Apparently some of the 2008's had faulty, porous blocks. Anyone here?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Mowgli.
As far as the BPV diaphram. 3 bolts to remove the cover, then pull the rubber diaphram and spring out. Take a look and see.
A little tough to get to but not that hard.

Me. I took out the plastic covered one years ago and have been using the Forge aluminum one with no issues.
I keep the old stock one as a backup just in case.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
I had an engine swap done on my HHR SS at Durand in Hudson MA and the turbo system has been off ever since. They won't acknowledge my claim so it needs work ASAP.
Pre-engine swap = boost system was perfect, afterwards = engine runs great but starts making boost then bonks to 0psi, no power from pedal until I lift and try again. Was bonking at anything over 10-15, now it bonks whenever it gets over 5psi. It's an ongoing problem that's gotten progressively worse until now it's almost completely un-boost-able.
It's 1 of 3 things. Turbo itself, probably not, it makes no unusual noises, was smooth power until bonking, now almost no power over 5psi but still no unusual noise. Wastegate or bpv - probably
Local Cobalt SS group on FB says the bpv is the likely culprit.
Anyone had similar symptoms that had a ripped bpv diaphram?

I had the same problem and as funny as it sounds it was due to the filter element coming off of the inlet tube inside the air box. that would lead me to believe it was causing a MAF error reading. Check those out. Once I put the air filter back on the inlet tube the problem went away. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 PM

engine issues

I am on my 3rd engine.

Just my daily driver not modified 100% stock. first one under warranty and the dealer installed one blew after 70k miles..