SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

New Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

New Intercooler

Guys so ive had the crazysteve intercooler on my car for about 2 years now and i really like it, but its time for a new one. Now i dont know if i should just get another one of those or if i should get a different one. I have a couple choices.

ZZP
Treadstone
Dejon
MPx

Oh and the reason for getting rid of it is because its starting to get dented n such from all the little rocks hitting it. The fins that is
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 AM

i'm going with MPx..... the size is perfect.

or Werks..... PM me.

ZZP...... no. no need for a 4" thick intercooler on stock turbo or anything under a gt30xx
Treadstone.... i find them to be WAY overpriced.
Dejon.... i have no clue.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned

You has a PM sir
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Werks?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 AM

There may be a problem with the ZZP IC, it does hang down farther than any other. Not sure if it will fit above the lower piece of the front cover, Don't know anything about Treadstone's. MPX looks pretty good, don't really care for the way they manufactured the mounting brackets. Dejon is nice but pricey.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 AM

If I wouldn't have tapped out all my mod money this round, with all the upgrades I would be getting a Tread Stone IC kit.

Treadstone IC kit group buy going on over there on the other site we frequent.
I would probably get at least the TR10 on the K04/tune and the TR12 if you have plans to upgrade your turbo in the future.

Don't know why people think the Treadstone kits are over priced. Cast end tanks for the win.
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-...up-buy-242724/
TR8 IC $250 per kit, @ 10 kits
TR10 IC $290 per kit
TR12 IC $300 per kit

You have till Monday to decide to get in on the group buy. They all ready have more then 10 people so the price you see listed above would apply.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Guys so ive had the crazysteve intercooler on my car for about 2 years now and i really like it, but its time for a new one. Now i dont know if i should just get another one of those or if i should get a different one. I have a couple choices.

ZZP
Treadstone
Dejon
MPx

Oh and the reason for getting rid of it is because its starting to get dented n such from all the little rocks hitting it. The fins that is
you supposed to stay in front to keep cars from throwing rocks on ya lol j/k
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Do these heat exchangers have efficiency ratings so that temperature loss can be calculated? I would have to think that those that exhibit a higher rate of heat transfer at higher speeds would be more expensive, because the rate of heat transfer is typically related to the rate of air passing over the coil. Any air to air heat exchanger exhibits a higher rate of heat exchange at lower CFM values (the air has time to absorb heat more effectively). Perhaps this would be the only way to measure performance of the heat exchanger in an intercooler system. The other thing that needs to be taken into account is the friction loss of the IC piping components of the system. Here's a website that I use for my job, but may help when setting up a high performance IC system.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...rties-t_8.html
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Damn thats deep. I'm putting one on so I don't blow the plastic ends off the stock one, that will make me happy I don't have to worry about it,while going zoom zoom.

by the way no offense intended
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Damn thats deep. I'm putting one on so I don't blow the plastic ends off the stock one, that will make me happy I don't have to worry about it,while going zoom zoom.
Sorry about that. When your putting you hard earned cash down for an IC system, the short question should be how much temperature drops at what rate of speed at a given ambient temperature. This would be the basis of comparison from one mfg to another.

For example, if it's 60F out and I'm going 60mph, how much does it cool? The stock unit can reduce air inlet temps as much as 212F, depending upon ambient temp and speed. I would think that mfgs put their best foot forward in all cases, but at least you have something to compare to see if you're getting your money's worth.

Quick Reply: New Intercooler