SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Air Bag Needs Service?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Air Bag Needs Service?

My "Service Air Bag" light has come on twice in the past couple of days while driving, and then it goes off about a minute later....

anybody else having this problem?

hate to take it to the dealership
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM

No point in taking it to the dealership unless its on at the time your there. Four times my SS has came up with, service brakes, service brake fluid, service esc, service traction control, and it turns my traction and esc off and it wont come back on unless I turn the car off and back on. Coming up on winter and icy weather this is a concern of mine. Maybe its just some sensor sticking or something for the both of us? I havnt seen an airbag light though.... it'd be bad to get into an accident then they not deploy, or in my case hit a slick spot in the road and then esc not kick in and make an accident worse. Major concerns with this.....
Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by acolddark0
No point in taking it to the dealership unless its on at the time your there. Four times my SS has came up with, service brakes, service brake fluid, service esc, service traction control, and it turns my traction and esc off and it wont come back on unless I turn the car off and back on. Coming up on winter and icy weather this is a concern of mine. Maybe its just some sensor sticking or something for the both of us? I havnt seen an airbag light though.... it'd be bad to get into an accident then they not deploy, or in my case hit a slick spot in the road and then esc not kick in and make an accident worse. Major concerns with this.....
Indeed you are confused.

The statement above which implies that you shouldn't take a car for service unless the light is on is not correct.

Once the SIR service light (the air bag light) comes on, even if it goes off, a "history code" is stored in the SIR module's memory and stays there for least 49 ign. cycles. The dealer has a device called a "scan tester" which can read the history code along with the failure records (a snap shot of what happened when the code set).

If the "air bag light" is coming on on a regular basis, I'd take the car in for service on the air bag system. As you have an 08, the repair will probably be under warranty.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 12-08-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM

Yep unless someone has cleares the codes it will still be there.

I would guess it is just a computer glitch, connection or sensor going bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by acolddark0
We had a 09 Malibu Hybrid at work for most of the year this year, I only used it once for a cuatomer visit to Savannah. I was actually on the range at Ft Stewart when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, with most of the messages you listed, and a few more. I took it to the local dealership, but they said it was safe to use until I got back to Atlanta. They were not sure how long with would need to be in the shop and didn't want to hold me up. It happened a few times over the next couple of days. WHen I got back to Atlanta and turned it in, it stayed in the shop for about 2 weeks to get a "restricted" part in. Can't remember what they said it was as I didn't pick it up when it was ready. We immediately assigned it to another customer. I told them that I was not driving it again.... I'll stick to the Impala's.

So yes, take it in.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Founding Member

It really depends on what code is stored as to what is the cause.

Here are 3 bulletins. But you need to get the code checked out.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...3231&page=9#86

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...31&page=13#121

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...31&page=13#122
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM

If it's under warranty, I'll go to a dealer without hesitation. If your dealer hasn't treated you well, there's usually another GM shop nearby. Most of the techs and SM's are very well trained and really can get it fixed better and faster than most independent mechanics, particularly if you need a Tech2 or similarly sophisticated tool to diagnose and repair the problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM

yeah called the local dealer and i'm dropping it off over my lunch, and I get a rental because the lady said the airbags would be shut off, so, since it's a safety issue, free car lol

Hopefully just a fuse or something, but, it's cold out, and i have a warranty, so, they can have it
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
yeah called the local dealer and i'm dropping it off over my lunch, and I get a rental because the lady said the airbags would be shut off, so, since it's a safety issue, free car lol

Hopefully just a fuse or something, but, it's cold out, and i have a warranty, so, they can have it
They should have it fix soon. Theses seldom are major issues.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Wow I didnt know it stored the codes. Friend of mine took his pos ms3 to the dealer for a code that flashed and they told him they didnt know cause it wasnt up anymore. Oh well, good info to know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Bag Needs Service?