SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Can't Use Spare Tire on Front of '08 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Can't Use Spare Tire on Front of '08 SS

I had rotated the tires on my 2008 SS. I recall that the manual stated that the spare cannot be used on the front axle due to the larger brakes on the SS. While on the jack stands, I gave it an actual try and sure enough, the wheel hits the caliper when attempting to install the spare on the front.

Some had theorized that this only applies to the Brembo option on '09 models and up, but it's apparent that the '08 non-Brembo SS' had larger brakes than the standard issue.

Just don't let this catch any '08 owners on a rainy night with a front flat tire.

2008 Owner's Manual Pp 5-90:

Removing the Flat Tire and
Installing the Spare Tire (SS Model)

The SS Model has larger performance brakes than
the Base Model. The compact spare tire will not clear
the front brakes.
Do not use the compact spare tire in the event of a front
flat tire.
You must use the rear tire to replace the front flat tire.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Really? There may be a swing-out tow hitch accessory that holds a full size wheel in my future. The idea of changing two wheels in the rain for one flat...I don't like. Good to know, though. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM

I think the manual says that for all hhrs, no? My memory aint what it used to be.
If you jack it up high enough with a proper jack, both wheels lift for switching them around, havent tried that with the factory scissor jack though.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM

the donut tire is not supposed to be used on the front of any FWD car if im not mistaken
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Deceased

No prohibition on using the "Dorky Do-nut Spare" on the front of non-SS HHR's, I've done it three times already, 2011 shall forever be known as the year Mike found roofing nails and screws with his tires....all within' a six week period. If they were ever to race HHR's in NASCAR, I'd be great on a pit crew, I can have the flat off and the Do-nut on before the "Aw Bleep!" stops echoing in the parking garage.

**While you can use a Do-nut on the front wheels, its a temporary spare after all, so driving for hundreds of miles does risk damage to the transaxle....but a trip across town to the tire shop is OK.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I had rotated the tires on my 2008 SS. I recall that the manual stated that the spare cannot be used on the front axle due to the larger brakes on the SS. While on the jack stands, I gave it an actual try and sure enough, the wheel hits the caliper when attempting to install the spare on the front.

Some had theorized that this only applies to the Brembo option on '09 models and up, but it's apparent that the '08 non-Brembo SS' had larger brakes than the standard issue.

Just don't let this catch any '08 owners on a rainy night with a front flat tire.

2008 Owner's Manual Pp 5-90:

Removing the Flat Tire and
Installing the Spare Tire (SS Model)

The SS Model has larger performance brakes than
the Base Model. The compact spare tire will not clear
the front brakes.
Do not use the compact spare tire in the event of a front
flat tire.
You must use the rear tire to replace the front flat tire.
Not sure what is going on here as the caliper is the same as the standard HHR and the G6 or Malibu and many other GM cars. It is one of GM' most common calipers.

I wonder if the rotor has a different offset for the SS that we have no notice which I would find hard to imagine.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Not sure what is going on here as the caliper is the same as the standard HHR and the G6 or Malibu and many other GM cars. It is one of GM' most common calipers.

I wonder if the rotor has a different offset for the SS that we have no notice which I would find hard to imagine.
Here's what we validated in regard to this subject:

• 843de used the donut on the front of a non-SS HHR and it fit (as he stated, this was performed many times over due to bad luck with nails)

• I personally tried fitting the donut on the front of my SS yesterday and the inner surface of the wheel would not allow line-up of the studs due to clearance issue with the caliper.

Hyper, to your point, it would be interesting to know what the 2008 owner's manual is specifically saying about the SS having "larger brakes". (i.e. caliper, rotor, both?). Maybe someone who has access to a parts DB can assess and compare the the specific assemblies of an '08 SS vs an '08 non-SS. If it ever comes time to replace any of the components, it might help mitigate any parts ordering mistakes.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Maybe that means it's time for a custom HHR continental kit....

Name:  continental kit.jpg
Views: 3148
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Deceased

Here's actual video proof of a non-SS HHR running a Do-nut on the front, its an '06 LS, and its owner might be classified as a little odd. It's amazing what a YouTube search will pull up, and sometimes scary too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDpWnLthcM

I think the issue with the SS's is a larger diameter brake rotor if memory serves me right.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Had to remove the GMB caliper covers to install the donut spare in front.

Quick Reply: Can't Use Spare Tire on Front of '08 SS