SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Can't Use Spare Tire on Front of '08 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

I've got a 2010 HHR SS without the Brembos. When I was putting on the summer tires a week ago, I also tried to put the spare on the front. It also would not clear the caliper. This makes me think that this affects all years of the SS!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Deceased

Found this thread, it gives the brake rotor diameters for the Brembo and non-Brembo equipped SS models and the LS/LT models. Its the rotor diameter, SS's have bigger front brakes, simple as that.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/what-front-rotor-size-non-brembo-rotor-34001/
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Here's what we validated in regard to this subject:

• 843de used the donut on the front of a non-SS HHR and it fit (as he stated, this was performed many times over due to bad luck with nails)

• I personally tried fitting the donut on the front of my SS yesterday and the inner surface of the wheel would not allow line-up of the studs due to clearance issue with the caliper.

Hyper, to your point, it would be interesting to know what the 2008 owner's manual is specifically saying about the SS having "larger brakes". (i.e. caliper, rotor, both?). Maybe someone who has access to a parts DB can assess and compare the the specific assemblies of an '08 SS vs an '08 non-SS. If it ever comes time to replace any of the components, it might help mitigate any parts ordering mistakes.
I would take a stab at the Rotor being different.

I know from the catalogs at work the pads are the same as my Malibu and other GM FWD cars. The mounting point could be different to adapt the caliper to the different rotor. GM did this on the W body. They used larger rotors with the same calipers. The mounting bar was changed to adapt the caliper over. My buddy just did the change on his Olds.

A larger rotor may not have a larger pad on it but it will give it more a heat sink to absorbe more heat and transfer it out for more effective braking.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Mike,

I will call you before i will AAA.

Alan
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM

larger rotors give better braking torque also..leverage law
Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM

I did a quick look here and found the pads are the same on the SS, LS and LT.

The Calipers are the same on the SS, LS and LT

Now the front Rotors are different based on the part number that my systems shows here at work. The LT and LS front rotor is 10.866 dia and 1.024 thick Rotor.

The SS has a 11.65 Dia and 1.025 thick front Rotor.

So GM did what they did on the W body and put a new caliper mount on and used a larger dia rotor.

This is why it is on all SS and not just the Brembo.

I hope this clears this up and we now all know we will have to do a Chinese Firedrill when changing our flats on the front.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 PM

Unhappy using doughnut spare on front will burn out trans

i was told by the service manager at a chevy dealership that the HHR SS transmission has limited slip differential and since the doughnut is smaller and rotates faster than the larger tire the difference in the two will ruin your transmission if one of the fronts goes flat you have to remove one of the rear first replace it with the doughnut and then put the good rear tire in the front i found this out following tire failure after hitting a pot hole in the rain
Old 08-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Big Steve
i was told by the service manager at a chevy dealership that the HHR SS transmission has limited slip differential and since the doughnut is smaller and rotates faster than the larger tire the difference in the two will ruin your transmission if one of the fronts goes flat you have to remove one of the rear first replace it with the doughnut and then put the good rear tire in the front i found this out following tire failure after hitting a pot hole in the rain
From over four years ago on page 1 of this thread:
Originally Posted by 843de
**While you can use a Do-nut on the front wheels, its a temporary spare after all, so driving for hundreds of miles does risk damage to the transaxle....but a trip across town to the tire shop is OK.
AND:
Originally Posted by 87silver

2008 Owner's Manual Pp 5-90:

Removing the Flat Tire and
Installing the Spare Tire (SS Model)

The SS Model has larger performance brakes than
the Base Model. The compact spare tire will not clear
the front brakes.
Do not use the compact spare tire in the event of a front
flat tire.
You must use the rear tire to replace the front flat tire.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Steve
Think I'd find a service manager that knows the facts.
1. Auto trans. SS's did not have the limited slip diff. Only the 5 speeds with the optional Performance Package(Brembos, LSD) had limited slip.
( some early 08's did get the rare limited slip without the Perf. Pkg. but only if it was the 5 speed )
2. That donut spare won't fit on the front of the SS. It's mentioned earlier in this thread and it's in your Owners manual.

Like I said. Just a service manager. Not like he/she actually works on cars or even has a clue about our unique little SS.