SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

FE5 Balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM

FE5 Balljoints

Over last weekend I installed some moog ball joints on my 08 SS. I went on the assumption that the ball joint should be compatible with the FE5 suspension. The last couple days of driving it actually felt worse so I jacked it up last night to find that the ball joint shaft that goes into the knuckle was loose to the point I could move it about 1/8th of an inch side to side without much effort. It seemed to fit up ok initially, but last night I had to crank the retention bolt way past spec to get it to close around the ball joint shaft and stop moving. I was so angry I put it back together with the bolt cranked and never drove it because I am worried about wrecking the knuckle. I looked up joints online and Moog has the same PN for the FE3 and FE5 suspensions so I am starting to wonder if I just cut off the correct ball joints to install the wrong ones? I can’t imagine GM would use a different ball joint with only 0.020 - 0.030” more meat on it… would they?

Has anyone put on Moog #K80567 ball joints on an SS? (I did send a note too moog last night to get some sort of feedback)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by BZERKED
Over last weekend I installed some moog ball joints on my 08 SS. I went on the assumption that the ball joint should be compatible with the FE5 suspension. The last couple days of driving it actually felt worse so I jacked it up last night to find that the ball joint shaft that goes into the knuckle was loose to the point I could move it about 1/8th of an inch side to side without much effort. It seemed to fit up ok initially, but last night I had to crank the retention bolt way past spec to get it to close around the ball joint shaft and stop moving. I was so angry I put it back together with the bolt cranked and never drove it because I am worried about wrecking the knuckle. I looked up joints online and Moog has the same PN for the FE3 and FE5 suspensions so I am starting to wonder if I just cut off the correct ball joints to install the wrong ones? I can’t imagine GM would use a different ball joint with only 0.020 - 0.030” more meat on it… would they?

Has anyone put on Moog #K80567 ball joints on an SS? (I did send a note too moog last night to get some sort of feedback)
The hole in the knuckle is a different diameter.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 AM

It could be that your 2008 is either an early or late year build. I've come across this in many cars, including the HHR.

As an example, I'll use the HHR. I had to replace sway bar end links in a 2008 LS, so I recieved the proper part number for a 2008 (MOOG part also), but the links were totally the wrong length. I looked up the part # for a 2007 and once I looked at them, they were the proper ones.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to carry over the previous year's parts, to the next model year, before they change everything over a new design.

Not saying that this is your problem, but I have dealt with that type of situation quite a few times in the last 10 years. Not only happening to GM or MOOG either
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

X2...happened to my buddies malibu with rotors. I thought it was a computer/inventory issue. we actually had to bring the rotors in and measure them up to a year older model(in the computer) so i like to bring parts in with me if(BIG IF) its possible
Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM

GM did make changes to the SS suspension so a differnet size could be a real thing here. They did not just change the springs and shocks.

To confirm it call the dealer and have them check the SS part number vs the LS.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Trying to find them, summit not listed, discount auto shock, cant find match, I'll look some more but if Summit don't carry it who would ?

these guys say this is a guaranteed fit. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

but it's the same # you have.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Technical Moderator

RE: the sway bar links, the problem is actually the parts books failure to recognize a difference between a Cobalt and an HHR in some parts categories.

RE: the ball joints; might be the same "book" problem; might have been better off to get lower control arm assemblies since the bushings are probably bad too, and less labor involved. And that may answer my Q about why the FE5 control arm costs $100 more than the FE3. I got FE3, so they were only about $80 each.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Trying to find them, summit not listed, discount auto shock, cant find match, I'll look some more but if Summit don't carry it who would ?

these guys say this is a guaranteed fit. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

but it's the same # you have.
That's what happens a lot when there is a previous year carryover, as was previously stated. The "correct" part numbers won't work, so you might have to look at the previous year's or the year after
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM

This has been a mess.. The knuckels only have 2 part numbers and thats with or with out active breaking option. They didnt want to cross check FE3 arm vs. FE5 for me and I called multiple places. I can tell you for sure that the moog joints are too small. I am so SOL and now have to drop the note on new FE5 arms. I am not done with Moog...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Hard to believe you are the first to have this problem, wonder if Moog even knows ? Thanks for posting your progress, I'm sure lots of us are getting close to needing to know what to do.