SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Misfire on 3. Head tear down video hhr ecotech turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM

The injectors are below the intake manifold and go in to the head. The ends slightly protrude into the combustion chamber. They direct the fuel into the center of the piston.

The seals that leak are on the end of injector that slides into the head. PN is 12653395. The injector Seal kit installer - Kent Moore EN-48266-2 and there are 2 pieces to it. One for installation and the other to resize it after it was installed.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Technical Moderator

Much scratching of heads could be avoided with a compression and leak down. But, it is good to see the whole job.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Do the injector seals need to be replaced every time you pull an injector from the head. In my video they look to be pretty clean and not destroyed in any way.
I can't find my compression gauge so I ordered a leak down test gauge but the video will show the valves are very badly gummed up so I think I will buy a new head.
Thanks for any and all input I am not a mechanic just a guy with tools and a garage trying to solve my problem. All contributions are welcome as future wrenchers May reference. As I checked through the internet not much on HHR SS
https://youtu.be/iEOYHUfUVJM

Last edited by cannuck; 01-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Administrator

If you going with a new head, get the ARP stud kit and the Felpro head gasket kit.
I'd recommend a new timing chain and guides also.
That's just me , if it's apart , do it once, and do it right!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM

For anyone else that hasn't found the videos, they are linked in post #1. FWIW, modifying old posts makes it difficult, for those of us who have been with you from the beginning of the thread, to find information.

The link oldblue provided in post #3 would have guided you to some info that would have made removing the intake manifold easier.

The oil you see on the driver's side of the engine could be from a leak, but more likely simply from oil spilled when refilling and from changing the filter.

You're replacing the head just because the valves are dirty? The valves can be cleaned, again, the link in post #3.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by cannuck
Do the injector seals need to be replaced every time you pull an injector from the head. In my video they look to be pretty clean and not destroyed in any way.I can't find my compression gauge so I ordered a leak down test gauge but the video will show the valves are very badly gummed up so I think I will buy a new head.

Thanks for any and all input I am not a mechanic just a guy with tools and a garage trying to solve my problem. All contributions are welcome as future wrenchers May reference. As I checked through the internet not much on HHR SS
The seals need to be replaced if you pull the injector. Check the Cobalt site the platform is pretty much the same except we can carry more stuff inside.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:16 PM

I will post videos along the way. Secondly there is oil on the charge pipes the intake has oil in it and the video shows a hole on the turbo that sucks the oil off the valve cover and throws it through the whole system that's causing the valves to oil up so definitely would be interested in some kind of oil separater. The video to come will show the valves soaked in oil. Doing the Walnut blast would only clean the intake side of the valve what about where its seats to me that is why the misfire is occurring because the valves aren't seating properly due to sludge buildup. The intake was easy to take off other than 2 difficult bolts to find. I guess for 20 bucks I could buy a bag of sand blast media and give that a shot put it all back together and then see if its good enough to not set the code. My other question is with with oil in the entire system would the exhaust valves not show signs of similar coking.
https://youtu.be/pa3ytUtr2II

Last edited by cannuck; 01-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cannuck
I will post videos along the way. Secondly there is oil on the charge pipes the intake has oil in it and the video shows a hole on the turbo that sucks the oil off the valve cover and throws it through the whole system that's causing the valves to oil up so definitely would be interested in some kind of oil separater. The video to come will show the valves soaked in oil. Doing the Walnut blast would only clean the intake side of the valve what about where its seats to me that is why the misfire is occurring because the valves aren't seating properly due to sludge buildup. The intake was easy to take off other than 2 difficult bolts to find. I guess for 20 bucks I could buy a bag of sand blast media and give that a shot put it all back together and then see if its good enough to not set the code. My other question is with with oil in the entire system would the exhaust valves not show signs of similar coking
What you are seeing is a known issue look at the catch thread. Your's may be worse given the miles you have on it.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Here is the catch can thread Dennis referred to, lots of info, currently 31 pages. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...tch-can-54350/

I've been where you are. Well, it wasn't quite as bad for me, no consistent misfire, but low compression in #4. I've finally got this under control. I've shell blasted and built 2 catch cans. I've been catching quite a bit of fluid recently, now that I've got the bugs worked out.

Check out the shell blast thread, too. You'll see that when you're done blasting, then you do a little brushing on the valve mating surfaces. I went from 23% leakage on #4 before cleaning, to 5% leakage(past rings) after.

Shell blast, not sand.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Do you have any pictures of your setup. I'm guessing when the valve is open you can get a brush in there to clean off the seating area did you use any solvent. Thanks for the info.

Sounds more like my next video will be the media blast. I will check out both the threads on blasting and catch cans. I really hope that the blast will solve the issue and nothing needs to be purchased.

Quick Reply: Misfire on 3. Head tear down video hhr ecotech turbo