SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Brembo Setup on 08

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Brembo Setup on 08

I'm looking for more braking power. Will the Brembo brake setup fit a 08 HHR SS non Brembo if I purchase the parts from the dealer or some other sorce.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gmando
I'm looking for more braking power. Will the Brembo brake setup fit a 08 HHR SS non Brembo if I purchase the parts from the dealer or some other sorce.
Yes, easy swap and braking is improved. A couple of threads on the subject.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/brembos-installed-finally-17542/

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=brembo&page=2
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Yes the brembo brake will work on the 08 it has been done by others already....I personally think bigger brakes on the rear will help more than the fronts....I have been planning on doing the big rears that are one the cobalts with the brembos.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Yes, easy swap and braking is improved. A couple of threads on the subject.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17542

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=brembo&page=2
Thanks for the links, I can never find anything when I do searches on here.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by crazysteve
Yes the brembo brake will work on the 08 it has been done by others already....I personally think bigger brakes on the rear will help more than the fronts....I have been planning on doing the big rears that are one the cobalts with the brembos.
Thanks for this info, I thought only the front brakes where bigger, but from what you're saying the rears are bigger too.

Do they do this on the 09 HHR SS with the brembo setup? I'll need to check this out, I would like the best braking available for my 08.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM

I would like the best braking available for my 08.
Here's the way to go then...Todd will fix you up!

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=27
Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Only the TC cobalts with the brembos got the bigger vented rear brakes although I think us hhr guys would have benefited more from them
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM

If you end up going with non GM parts, make sure you keep all your original parts if you want the option of trading it in in the future, a dealer may not accept after market brakes due to perceived or real liability.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Brembo brakes are made for performance driving and do not necessarily perform better in ALL driving conditions. Be sure that you know what you want in regard to an expensive upfit. If you consistently do sport driving and are hard on your brakes, you probably expect to develop some temp using them and should go for the Brembos. But expect a hard pedal for everyday around town use. This comes as a surprise to many who go for performance brake systems. Expect them to squeal under normal driving conditions as well.

Below is an excerpt from Carroll Smith in regard to this subject:

"there is no such thing as an ideal "all around" brake pad. The friction material that is quiet and functions well at relatively low temperatures around town will not stop the car that is driven hard. If you attempt to drive many cars hard with the OEM pads, you will experience pad fade, friction material transfer and fluid boiling - end of discussion. The true racing pad, used under normal conditions will be noisy and will not work well at low temperatures around town.

Ideally, in order to avoid either putting up with squealing brakes that will not stop the car well around town or with pad fade on the track or coming down the mountain at speed, we should change pads before indulging in vigorous automotive exercise. No one does. The question remains, what pads should be used in high performance street cars - relatively low temperature street pads or high temperature race pads?

Strangely enough, in my opinion, the answer is a high performance street pad with good low temperature characteristics. The reason is simple: If we are driving really hard and begin to run into trouble, either with pad fade or boiling fluid (or both), the condition(s) comes on gradually enough to allow us to simply modify our driving style to compensate. On the other hand, should an emergency occur when the brakes are
cold, the high temperature pad is simply not going to stop the car. As an example, during the mid 1960s, those of us at Shelby American did not drive GT 350 or GT 500 Mustangs as company cars simply because they were equipped with Raybestos M-19 racing pads and none of our wives could push on the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car in normal driving.

For the full article, go to:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=87silver;427685]Brembo brakes are made for performance driving and do not necessarily perform better in ALL driving conditions. ............. But expect a hard pedal for everyday around town use. ......... Expect them to squeal under normal driving conditions as well.

/QUOTE]

Mine have NEVER squealed (over 25,000 miles on mine). Inadequate or improper application of the anti-squeal compound to the backing plate is likely the cause as I know others have had that problem. No hard pedal either, noticed improvement in braking both hot and cold. Lots of variations in Brembo packages, so generalities don't really apply.

Quick Reply: Brembo Setup on 08