SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Over boost code solution questions !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by HHR5678
Stocker, When you press the CC steering button, do you see Cruise Control show on the DIC? if no, You may have the same tune.
Just for clarity, which button is it? Pushing the CC button on mine (the on/off with the little light) doesn't trigger any DIC message either. Pushing the "set-" (while driving) triggers "cruise control engaged" message (or something to that effect).
Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 PM

I think that(TC) is the preferred button. But I'm sure any could be used. They certainly perform some ecm magic over there at Trifecta!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm just asking hhr5678 to clarify the procedure for stockerhhr's benefit. If stocker's (potential) Trifecta is tied to cruise control, what exactly should he do to verify. It seems the actual Cruise button may not be it, but perhaps the "set-" button. Also, what should stocker try in order to determine if it is tied to traction control button?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 PM

Actually, thinking some more, this doesn't make sense. The actual cruise control button never triggers a message in the DIC, and if it is set to the "set -" button then what, your car doesn't have cruise control anymore? It's more likely that it is, in fact, set to the actual cruise control button, and there would be no way of knowing if you had the tune, except for performance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Would turning the cruise control off, also turn off the tune? Or does turning cruise on turn off the tune? Could that be a test for stocker, to turn off the tune and see if it still overboosts? He would also need to know what turns off the tune if tied to traction control button. I would think that if it still overboosts in all scenarios, then he does not have the Trifecta tune.

Stocker, you do know that turning the key off and then on again, gets you out of limp mode, right? And as long as you don't overboost for 3 seconds, you won't go into limp mode. 3 seconds of overboost condition triggers limp mode or 50 seconds cumulative.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 PM

If he's seeing more than 16 lbs of boost at any time it's more than likely been "modified" not necessarily tuned. As I started earlier, there are small changes you can make to the vacuum system to trick the ECM to allow more boost.

If it's the Trifecta "Stealth(on or off)" tune. I would suspect it's tied to the traction control button. I think the only way to tell is the ol' butt dyno. I've never had the Trifecta tune but as I understand when you turn on traction control it activates the tune. I'm not sure how you'd find out other than through previous owners. Which is why I asked who owned it prior.

I'm pretty certain boost tops out around 12-14psi stock. The problem may be it needs a tune. If it's been modified and not tuned the ECM is just not a happy camper.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 AM

Would you agree then, that if the problem was because of a Trifecta tune, then turning the tune off would eliminate the problem? Maybe someone who has it can chime in - Does the tune default to "off" when you start the vehicle? i.e. Do you have to push a button to turn the tune "on" each time you start the vehicle? If not, how do you turn it off?

With regards to mods, the wastegate adjustment mod is temporary, with the computer relearning back down to 260 ft lbs torque. Are these other mods permanent? I read about putting a partial obstruction in a line like you mentioned, but don't remember much else, other than it wasn't a very good idea.

I'm still leaning towards the boost control solenoid.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Here's a tutorial of sorts about the Trifecta tune , the second paragraph speaks to activation methods..,

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...ss_electronics
Old 01-20-2016, 01:05 PM

Stockerhhr,
DIC Cruise control message shown under driving conditions denotes we do not have the same tune.
Either way if you are experiencing P0234 when you floor it this could be bad vacuum lines, IC coupler leaks, waste gate spring stressed, or faulty MAP. Keep in mind the stock 2PSI senders out of range at boost 20PSI, when the ECU sees that out of range value P0234 occurs. How many miles is on the vehicle?

My configuration is as follows:
1. My trifecta tune will enable/disable based on the Cruise Control Steering wheel button. When pressed CC ON the Tune is off, CC depressed off ="Tune On".
2. The Cruise control option is completely disabled with the selected tune.
3. The DIC does not report Cruise Control when button activated(lit) or not activated(not lit).
4. The TCS button has a separate function, launch, TCS active or TCS shutdown disable(tire burnout option:-) the added Tune bonus is no ECU learn down.

To recap here is my experience with the P0234:
I purchased all the tunes CJ had for the HHRSS, Infiniboost, and E85. I took his advice and recommendations for the tune activation characteristics.
Unfortunately, I have only used the infiniboost on pump gas to date. When I upgraded the IC pipe the over-boost CEL started activating, tune activated. Then it happened again with the tune deactivated, I was forced to comb through the entire system looking for leaks. Once I determined all was well, I proceeded to rectify the issue, pulled the diverter noticed no issue, checked the wastegate-no issue, then picked up several different aftermarket items Diverters/BOVs for testing, eventually choosing and loving my Turbosmart adjustable BOV. Once I had the performance I wanted, re-programing with the trifecta I chose an option to disable dependencies and P0234. To date I simply watch the RPD, set alerts, and have fun.

I hope this information helps.

For those looking for a virgin HHRSS check out this add on CL: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5398214922.html
Old 01-23-2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Actually, thinking some more, this doesn't make sense. The actual cruise control button never triggers a message in the DIC, and if it is set to the "set -" button then what, your car doesn't have cruise control anymore? It's more likely that it is, in fact, set to the actual cruise control button, and there would be no way of knowing if you had the tune, except for performance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Would turning the cruise control off, also turn off the tune? Or does turning cruise on turn off the tune? Could that be a test for stocker, to turn off the tune and see if it still overboosts? He would also need to know what turns off the tune if tied to traction control button. I would think that if it still overboosts in all scenarios, then he does not have the Trifecta tune.

Stocker, you do know that turning the key off and then on again, gets you out of limp mode, right? And as long as you don't overboost for 3 seconds, you won't go into limp mode. 3 seconds of overboost condition triggers limp mode or 50 seconds cumulative.

Yeah I know that turning the car in and off gets it out of limp mode just frustrating that I cant flor it, I have to watch how much boost I'm pushing then let off and get on it again... And cc button no change in power so I'm thinking that my car is stock, other than the forge bypass I just added and K&n but had the over boosting problem before and here and there I get the PO234 codes... I want to do a tune and the map sensors but want to fix this issue first.... Checked the vacuum lines and seems like no issues thought about just spending a couple bucks and replacing them and go from there...
Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by HHR5678
Stockerhhr,
DIC Cruise control message shown under driving conditions denotes we do not have the same tune.
Either way if you are experiencing P0234 when you floor it this could be bad vacuum lines, IC coupler leaks, waste gate spring stressed, or faulty MAP. Keep in mind the stock 2PSI senders out of range at boost 20PSI, when the ECU sees that out of range value P0234 occurs. How many miles is on the vehicle?

My configuration is as follows:
1. My trifecta tune will enable/disable based on the Cruise Control Steering wheel button. When pressed CC ON the Tune is off, CC depressed off ="Tune On".
2. The Cruise control option is completely disabled with the selected tune.
3. The DIC does not report Cruise Control when button activated(lit) or not activated(not lit).
4. The TCS button has a separate function, launch, TCS active or TCS shutdown disable(tire burnout option:-) the added Tune bonus is no ECU learn down.

To recap here is my experience with the P0234:
I purchased all the tunes CJ had for the HHRSS, Infiniboost, and E85. I took his advice and recommendations for the tune activation characteristics.
Unfortunately, I have only used the infiniboost on pump gas to date. When I upgraded the IC pipe the over-boost CEL started activating, tune activated. Then it happened again with the tune deactivated, I was forced to comb through the entire system looking for leaks. Once I determined all was well, I proceeded to rectify the issue, pulled the diverter noticed no issue, checked the wastegate-no issue, then picked up several different aftermarket items Diverters/BOVs for testing, eventually choosing and loving my Turbosmart adjustable BOV. Once I had the performance I wanted, re-programing with the trifecta I chose an option to disable dependencies and P0234. To date I simply watch the RPD, set alerts, and have fun.

I hope this information helps.

For those looking for a virgin HHRSS check out this add on CL: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5398214922.html

That's a lot of awesome advice ! I'll check all my piping and see if I can find any leaks, and need to check the wastegate as well ! Thank you...

Quick Reply: Over boost code solution questions !!!