Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ESC warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 AM

ESC warning

Hello, this is my first post, so please excuse any violations in general etiquette.

My 2010 HHR (LS 2.2 w/5sp manual) with 43K miles just threw the "Service ESC" warning. It consistently pops up this message within a half mile of driving every time I start the car.
Using a Innova 3160b scan tool monitoring live data, I see it has thrown a CO460 code, and I saw in an earlier closed thread that there was an investigation looking into HHRs that threw this code, looking for possible causes. It appears 1st course of action is to look at VSES data and subcodes that I cannot read with this tool, and that it may be a calibration of the steering angle sensor. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or does this mandate a dealer visit?

Purchased new, no accidents or major service, adult driven however it did have the PS recall addressed. Don't know if that played a part.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Technical Moderator

First check for historical misfires. Usually no code but will turn ESC off.

Next look at hubs.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-27-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:20 AM

2010 Service ESC

Info on previous closed posting for the ESC:

#PIE0070B: EI10105-Engineering Information-Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Message Displayed in Driver Information Center (DIC), DTC C0460 Set - (Aug 4, 2010)

No misfires...runs well.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Technical Moderator

2-4 misfires in a driving cycle would be un noticed, but could cause a service ESC message.

An expensive scantool is required to calibrate the steering angle sensor. It may have been mucked by the key or steering recall work.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:21 PM

OK, thanks! Talked to dealer and they're asking for $140 to reprogram...no other choice but to go with it.

Thought about velcro hanging scan tool to dash board and resetting DTC each time I pull to a stoplight when it's snowing....seems to be when I need trac control most..can probably live without it during the summer.

Just kidding...I was just really trying to figure out if GM engineers were really still looking at collecting data on non-abused cars getting the C0460 DTC.

Appreciate the response!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 AM

ESC warning!

So, after $320 dealer repair, here I am 13 months and 13K miles later with the same warning. Dealer repair warranty was 12 months, 12K, so I'm SOL.

Screw it.

Without ESC, car is no less safe than the 25 or so others I've had in the last 40+ years, so let the light shine and show all the passengers what they have to look forward to with Government Motors Products!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by cloudhome
So, after $320 dealer repair, here I am 13 months and 13K miles later with the same warning. Dealer repair warranty was 12 months, 12K, so I'm SOL.

Screw it.

Without ESC, car is no less safe than the 25 or so others I've had in the last 40+ years, so let the light shine and show all the passengers what they have to look forward to with Government Motors Products!
Well, did anyone look at the steering angle sensor? If it broke, what caused it?

The c0460 code does not mean it needs reprogramming, it means there is a malfunction. (like a loose wire)

It does not take a Dealer to reset the sensor, just somebody with the correct tool and training.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:53 PM

alighnment issure

Originally Posted by billeesy
Hopefully this will help someone. Today I decided to adjust my toe on my front left tire, in which I did. I was experiencing pulling to the left when I was in the left lanes, anyways I ended up adjusting too much and my steering wheel was off balance. I drove about a mile when my service esc message came on. I adjust my toe back the other way until my wheel was balanced again and then drove it for about a mile and came back home. I turned it off and then turned the key on until just the radio and lights was on and I noticed the esc message was not there anymore. I started it up and yes it was indeed gone. so a long story short. your wheel alignment could be causing the service ESC message. I was very glad thats all it was.
U are rite !!!! I just had my tie rods changed and didnt get front end alighnment!!then light has been on ever since now i know thank u ill get it done now ...
Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by italianguyy1
U are rite !!!! I just had my tie rods changed and didnt get front end alighnment!!then light has been on ever since now i know thank u ill get it done now ...
The SS has a steering angle sensor that may need calibrating with a computer.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:48 PM

t

Originally Posted by donbrew
The SS has a steering angle sensor that may need calibrating with a computer.
Well i have the 2.2 2009 hhr lt not ss...thanks

Quick Reply: ESC warning