SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

"Service ESC" message

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM

My car had a problem like this a few months ago. It turned off traction and esc and it would not come back on till I turned the car off then back on. I took it to the dealer and they said it was because I had low tire pressure. They put air in my tires and cleared the code. They also did a brake flush. Few months later I have had no problems with it. So who really knows what exactly they did but that was their reasoning. Thing is according to my computer I had 30 psi in each tire and they put in 5 more. So who really knows. Made no sense to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 PM

speedster-

Nice to see another Black Long Island HHR. I don't have the double S, just LS, I couldn't go for the big guns.

I'm sure your issue can be resolved. You have to remember dozens of GM Service Centers have shut down all around us... Be patient, at least give em a chance.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by acolddark0
My car had a problem like this a few months ago. It turned off traction and esc and it would not come back on till I turned the car off then back on. I took it to the dealer and they said it was because I had low tire pressure. They put air in my tires and cleared the code. They also did a brake flush. Few months later I have had no problems with it. So who really knows what exactly they did but that was their reasoning. Thing is according to my computer I had 30 psi in each tire and they put in 5 more. So who really knows. Made no sense to me.
Sounds like a crazy solution for that problem.

And i thought the correct tire press. for the pilots on the SS was 32psi. cold ?
So they put in 35psi. cleared the code and wala traction and esc are fixed.
I'm not buyin it.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 AM

no, this isnt because of a few lbs off of tire pressure. no way..
This is an ecm problem. now, was the computer needing more voltage on startup? remember i was parked and listening to the radio waiting for my kid. perhaps the battery got too low, which would make the cars electronics go wacky.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 AM

strange, i would have thought this issue warranted more attention.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I thought it was a bit odd too. But the only things they did that day that I'm aware of is a brake flush, oil change, and put air into my tires. But ever since that day a few months ago I have had no problems many miles later. So whatever they did and didn't tell me it's worked so far. Also keep in mind that they tried telling me I needed new tires because mine were bad and leaking. I have not put air into my tires since that day and they are still around 35 psi with plenty of tread left. So you cant always believe the dealers unfortunately.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 PM

it is nice to find a dealer you trust. i will make the drive to newburg to have the stage 1 installed. i am told they have done the job without any hitches. They haven't installed one yet so i didnt want to be the first one.
the check engine light went out by itself, and the engine seems normal. i will still take it to the dealer in 8 days.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-23-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 PM

^ That, or find a better dealer that can get you in sooner and do reputable service work. I drive an additional 30 miles out of my way everytime my SS needs service. Why? Simply because the local dealer in my town that I drive by everyday on the way to/from work acted like jerks when I was shopping for a new car. I go to the dealer that treated me right and wants to take care of my car the right way.

Later
Allex
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Barton Birks in Newburgh is good.
I drove 175 miles to get my stage kit done there on 87Silver's recommendation.
He wasn't the first to get it done there and I probably wasn't the last (August 2009).
It was worth the drive.
They soldered the connections by my request, I was out of there by 10:30 and they charged $200 flat rate.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 AM

Final update on my situation. FUNNY You mention the tire pressure. I got new tires today but the morning that the Service ESC message went off after driving a block I did put air in my left front tire that has had a small leak. It was down to 28 lbs so I aired it up to 38 knowing that I was getting new tires today. Maybe somehow the TPMS is tied to the traction control? I don't know that but I know for a fact that I was driving on 28 lbs of air pressure on the left front the entire time I had the Service ESC light on and it went off within 5 minutes of me adding air.

AS for the Check Engine light I took the SS to Reliable Chevrolet in North Dallas on Thursday Afternoon. They checked the code and it showed a miss 300 miles earlier on the #4 cylinder. They pulled the plugs for 3 and 4 and cleaned them. Then swapped them to as a troubleshooting step in case the Check Engine light came on again later. If the light came on again and showed a miss on #3 then likely a flakey spark plug. They also replaced the coil on #4 as it tested weak. Remember the car was running fine as far as I could tell and the diag's indicated no miss in the last 300 miles. They didn't have to do squat but did everything possible to make sure I was taken care of. I've had no issues since I drove off the lot.

If you are in the Dallas area ALWAYS go to Reliable Chevrolet for any service on any GM car. I can't swear you will get out of there for free but I can tell you every time I have used them I have been 100% satisfied with every detail of the experience.

Russ

Quick Reply: "Service ESC" message