SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

"Service ESC" message

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Those plugs and wires are persnickety and don't cotton to being disconnected.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 AM

I would check them. For me I didn't even have to disconnect them just had to remove them from the bracket (still plugged together). I was over careful when taking out the old struts and reinstalling the old ones, but they may have
A forgotten to plug them in
B bumped them while disassembling or reassembling
C crushed them during installation due to lack of care
D damaged them in another way.

Jack it up. Remove the wheel, have a look for yourself, then go to the shop asking questions. Without looking yourself they could essentially tell you anything.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by RussellM454
Coming home tonight my check engine light came on as well as the traction control light. The message center says "Service ESC" which I take to mean the Electronic Stabalization Control system. I turned off the car and it reset for a while but came back on. I have 50,380 miles on the car when this started. This is on my 08 HHR SS with 5 speed.

Anyone have any ideas what this is or what could be the cause. Also would this be a warranty type item.

Thanks,

Russ
Hey
My wife and i had the same problem. All i did was put tire pressure to spec(30 lbs) and both lights went off and havent come back on.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jerry455
I work at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI. The other day there was an e-mail to any employee with 09 hhr with esc message, they want to look at car. There is a new engineering group that looks at fixing these problems quickly. I have a 09 hhr ls but I have never had that message show up. It just turned 8,000 miles the other day, has been perfect, no problems. Keep checking with your dealer as GM is looking to fix this. This group has been checking for problems in ways that are new to GM such as internet forums and such. They are serious about changing the company and being more responsive to the customer. Be patient there still are a lot of enthusiast thats still work here and we drive the same products that you do. This is a great idea that they are doing this like Ed Whitacre says this is a new company. It seems that there is people higher up that are open to more feed back about the product than the previous management.
Hello! I know this thread was YEARS ago but im having the same problem, was there ever a root cause that was discovered?
​​​​​
Old 10-19-2023, 04:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Madalina97
Hello! I know this thread was YEARS ago but im having the same problem, was there ever a root cause that was discovered?
​​​​​
Why not start a new thread and include your exact symptoms?