SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Timing Chain Replacement

Hello Members,

My first post so a short introduction to go thru first.
Bought my car ( black automatic SS ) new in Ca and brought it to Belgium myself back in 01/2008.
Given my mechanics skills, with the maintenance books, and parts supply direct from the USA I was able to fixe some issues in the past years / 60K miles but now it's time to search for advise.

I waited too long with action after hearing a rattling noise from the distribution chain on start. Last week the car decided it was enough, engine warning light on and fault code P0016 ( and P0089 which might be the result of the first one ? ). Once the RPM on Idle comes down from the cold start it becomes unstable and the car tends to bounce back and forth in D or P. Chain noise very much apparent at higher RPM as well now.
Replacement of the chain tensioner didn't fixed the problem. The rattling noise on start up seems to be gone, higher ( as of 1500 ) RPM brings the chain noise back. I'm sure I waited too long and it's the highest time to be carefull. I suppose I'm in for at least a chain ( with guides and .... )replacement. Looking at the engine installation in the car I have my doubts this can be done without removing the engine ? However there's a post on this subject mentioning a 4 Hrs job for a chain replacement ?

There's no more Chevy network in Belgium and even then they wouldn't have touched a HHR SS before. I tend to bring it to a repair shop but ...
And if I start the job myself I have to finish it myself.

The maintenance manual lists the sequence of events but not always clear ( to me ) and unclear whether the engine needs to be removed from the car.

Any recomandations or advise are very much welcome.
Thank you for you time !

Best Regards

Raf - Belgium

PS : I'm sorry if this was already discussed in another thread, I didn't found one.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Technical Moderator

I recommend purchasing a factory service manual you can get one from Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

They are the "official" source, maybe on eBay or the equivalent. Or, is that what you meant by "maintenance books".

The HHR is basically a Saab, Opel etc. and/or one of the other GM brands in Europe. The timing chains I've seen advertised here come from France. It is NOT an American engine.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Since the engine still runs it is possible the chain has slipped a bit and you may just need to set the camshaft timing. This requires removing the top engine cover and lining up the marks on the cam sprockets. Also measure for chain stretch and look for broken guides at that time. As stated a mechanic familiar with opel or saab should know the engine, but most good mechanics should be able to handle this job. I would not do it yourself as one small mistake can destroy the engine which may be very difficult to replace in Belgium.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator

The engine doesn't have to be removed, just supported usally by a tool from the top
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
geg

Originally Posted by prod
... I would not do it yourself as one small mistake can destroy the engine which may be very difficult to replace in Belgium.
х2

do not take it for Hitting
but if you ask a question about dismantling the engine, your skills are not sufficient.
my skills are too small, but I know very literate guys who do not risk yourself to sink into the engine.
Trust the professionals, if they break something, you can always make a claim and receive compensation.