SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Valve tap already????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Valve tap already????

I just purchased a new 2010 HHR SS - black on black - very nice and does get up and go. With less that 1,000 miles I started hearing a distinctive tapping under the hood. Initially I thought it was fan or belt related, but upon closer inspection it appears more mechanical. As I've listened I heard it go from a quick, tap,tap, tap, tap, tap, to a tap----------tap---------tap. Anyone else with a similar issue before I head back to the dealer
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM

That sounds like you may need a value adjustment. Though hydrlic lifters dont usely need them. I do not believe that a 2.0 would be solid lifter. I am by far no expert on the SS or any of the I4s but I have a solid lifter 350, and when I start to hear that noise, I know its time for a value adjustment. Maybe the rocker nuts did not get tighted in assembly like they should have. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

The high flow fuel pump can make quite a racket... since it's under warranty, just take it in and see what they say.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

It is the hi pressure pump on the end of the head. All GM DI engines tend to have this noise. It can be louder at some times than others. It sounds like a bad cam follower but it is now.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

I think what you hear is the direct injection that the SS has. It sounds a bit like clicking diesel when the car is cold, and almost inaudible when the car is hot. This is normal. All the new direct injection cars do this. It's normal.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the quick replys and insightful info. As a member of our local Mazda Miata Club I appreciate what these type of forums can provide. Took me all of a day to locate and get onboard.

Paul Hart
2010 Blk on Blk SS
Tucson, AZ
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

welcome to the site. :)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Mine makes a tapping noise when you first start it but after warm up it goes away. I also have a 2010 SS.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the "Welcome", Whopper.

Wanted to report back on the tap, tap, tap issue.

Touched base with Mike the friendly Sevice Rep at Watson Chev. here in Tucson. I described the issue and the info provided here. No problem, bring it over and we'll take a look. An hour later I'm at Watson telling Mike the tale. He opens the hood, starts it up and immediately say's, no, no, not right, let's have Mr. Goodwrench take a look. Schuttle ride home and will await the call.....

Anyway, I'll report back on exactly what the issue is and would also say the I've been more than happy with the help/service provided by Watson Chev. It's not where I purchased the car - did go there first, but none available - and have been treated very well. I remember the day when if you didn't buy the car at the dealership you were at you seemed to always end up in line "B". Apparently GM and others have learned a valuable lesson - don't screw with customers regardless of where they purchased the car - keep'em happy and coming back.

More later, Paul
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goose2448
That sounds like you may need a value adjustment. Though hydrlic lifters dont usely need them. I do not believe that a 2.0 would be solid lifter. I am by far no expert on the SS or any of the I4s but I have a solid lifter 350, and when I start to hear that noise, I know its time for a value adjustment. Maybe the rocker nuts did not get tighted in assembly like they should have. Just my 2 cents
You need to have a look at an OHC engine man.

Quick Reply: Valve tap already????