Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

inside tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM

inside tire wear

So recently I replaced my brake shoes and I found the inside of the left tire to be quire worn, virtually bald on the inside. Only the left side. When I look, it seems as though the left rear leans in slightly, but I haven't had a chance to actually check to be sure.

I replaced the rear shocks about a year ago and they look ok. Just this week, I went to take my car and there was a sudden loud noise that seemed to come from the back. When turning the wheel by hand, I did not hear it, but the noise didn't really start till 40mph. Doubt I can get the wheel up to 40 by hand!

I moved the tire in question to the left front and it was really loud and had a lot of vibration. It needs to be replaced for sure, but I wonder if maybe the rear left hub is toast.

Any way to check besides just trying to wobble the hub? Other ideas?

It is an 06 with 162,000+ miles and no hub has ever been changed.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 AM
geg

sorry for your problem

Yes, really true .. if one side of the tire uneven wear - the wheel is tilted. In your case, the slope of the inside.
The first thing that comes to mind:
1. Bend of the rear beam (we're talking about the left rear hub?) Or the rear beam mounted not parallel (deformed spring, not a standard shock absorber, etc);
2. The seat of the hub is deformed.

I'm afraid you will have to dismantle the hub for find the cause.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Technical Moderator

Have the tires been regularly rotated?

40 MPH noise is typical of hubs. If you can see the camber the hubs will wobble easily.

The actual test is .005 inch end play.

At that mileage they are due.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 AM

Well, this issue just surfaced since the last rotation. I also have to say that for a while I have heard noises that sound like they come from the left rear which get louder when cornering. Leading me to believe it is the hub, even more.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Here's my Recipe.

1. Replace both rear hubs.
2. Take the best 2 tires on the car and move them to the rear.
3. Buy 2 new tires and put them on the front.
4. Have an All Wheel alignment done buy a good shop. Have them look for any bad front end parts.
5. Get the starting and finished alignment settings for all 4 wheels.

6. Recheck wheel nut torque if you have a torque wrench.
7. Recheck tire pressures cold.

SF
Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 PM

I'd love to do that recipe. Unfortunately I stuck braces on a kid and put in a new furnace/ac. So, it's going to be more like 2 tires and 1 hub and see how it goes.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Technical Moderator

I found out one of my rear hubs was bad while walking up the driveway, after taking the trash to the curb, the wheel was really canted.

I would not worry about alignment, since it is only 1 tire, toe would affect both front tires. Bad LCAs usually cause a ripple pattern. Caster & camber can only be changed by impact.

On a stock HHR the only front end adjustment available is toe. There is a theoretical adjustment for the rear, but not many technicians have a clue and it is time consuming. Flat rate guys don't like "time consuming".
Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 PM

Well, swapped the drivers side rear, some noise left. Swapped front, rest of noise left. Also lost the brake shudder. Crazy sh*t right there. Never had a bearing cause the feeling of a warped brake. Got a spare for the right rear, might get 1 for rf. Now to gradually tackle the other suspension noises sometime.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Technical Moderator

Think about it; loose bearing = wobble, warped disk = wobble.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:37 PM

Still never a bearing go out like this. Only thing Ican figure is there must be 2 or more bearing races inside and a race furthest from the wheel was going out. I could not make the hub move by hand (side to side) for anything. Even having it in my hand, nothing felt out of sorts. Best "bad" bearing I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: inside tire wear