Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 AM

Tire Pressure

I was wondering what pressure you are all using. The sidewall says to use 35 psi.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:25 AM
jx3

35-40 psi
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned

I guess Chevys recommendation is different for the LS and 1LT vs. the 2LT. Having a 2LT I keep my tires at 32 psi like I'm supposed to. There is a sticker is on the inside of your drivers door that tells you what to keep your tires at. I think the owners manual tells you also. I would go by what Chevy recommends rather than the tire manufacturers max. pressure.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:10 AM

We are at 32PSI as well with our 2LT.
With several members reporting MPG in the high twenties and mid thirties, I am wondering what those folks use for tire pressure?

We switched to premium for a few tanks fulls and there seems to be a difference in MPG by around 2MPG. Also the midrange pickup is now adequate rather than barely adequate.

We were getting 34 MPG on the highway with premium, AC on, full car , two adults, Little Katy, and a pile 'o'stuff. This was at 55-60 MPH. Went up to the speed limit and we went down to 28 MPG. went to 70 MPH and went down to 26 MPG. This was on a hundred mile drive , setting the DIC when on the highway for highway driving only.

So the next step is to run the tire pressure up a bit and repeat since we are doing the same trip a few more times in the near future. Hopefully the ride does not deteriorate too much with more pressure.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
I was wondering what pressure you are all using. The sidewall says to use 35 psi.
The sticker on my door jam say's 30lb for my 16" tires, the tires are rated at a max of 44 psi.

MORE on TIRES:
The maximum load and maximum inflation pressure are required to be branded on the sidewall of tires sold in North America.
Tire pressures are normally measured in "pounds per square inch" (psi), Kilopascals (kPa), or bars of pressure (bars).
A 225/50R16 92V-sized tire as an example would have its maximum load and maximum tire inflation pressure typically presented on the sidewall as follows:

NORTH AMERICAN CODES ONLY
MAX. LOAD 630 kg (1389 lbs)
MAX. PRESSURE 300 kPa (44 psi)

This branding identifies that tires in the 225/50R16 92V size used in this example must be capable of, and be rated to carry 630 kg (1,389 pounds). Additionally it identifies that the maximum tire inflation pressure for this tire is 300 kPa (44 psi).
It is important to note that the maximum load is rated at an industry specified tire inflation pressure that is often lower then the tire's absolute maximum tire pressure. The tire pressures used to determine the maximum load the tire is rated to carry is based on the sizing system industry standards applied to the tire.
However, the tire's maximum inflation pressure may be greater, such as 300 kPa (44 psi) in this example or even 350 kPa (51 psi). This is done to accommodate the vehicle manufacturers desire to tune the tires' high-speed capability, handling qualities and/or rolling resistance to better suit the vehicle.
It is important that owners consult their vehicle's tire information placard (usually found on the driver's door or doorjamb) or their owner's manual for the recommended tire pressures for their vehicle's driving conditions.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM

35psi

Originally Posted by Harpozep
We are at 32PSI as well with our 2LT.
With several members reporting MPG in the high twenties and mid thirties, I am wondering what those folks use for tire pressure?

We switched to premium for a few tanks fulls and there seems to be a difference in MPG by around 2MPG. Also the midrange pickup is now adequate rather than barely adequate.

We were getting 34 MPG on the highway with premium, AC on, full car , two adults, Little Katy, and a pile 'o'stuff. This was at 55-60 MPH. Went up to the speed limit and we went down to 28 MPG. went to 70 MPH and went down to 26 MPG. This was on a hundred mile drive , setting the DIC when on the highway for highway driving only.

So the next step is to run the tire pressure up a bit and repeat since we are doing the same trip a few more times in the near future. Hopefully the ride does not deteriorate too much with more pressure.
Howdy,

I'm running 35PSI on my 2LT. Went on a trip this weekend with two buddies. With two large adults and myself (a smaller adult) and the back loaded from the floor to the roof we did just over 30mpg at 75mph. This was on a mountain pass from Calgary Alberta Canada to BC Canada (driving through the Canadian Rocky Mountains.) We also used regular fuel and not premium.

I had one of my original Firestone Firehawks go down on the trip and purchased a Bridgestone to replace it. The other three will be replaced with the same Bridgestone in about a week or so. Might have some effect on mileage but probably not much.

Adios
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM

Tire pressure

The door sticker on my '06 2lt reads 35psi. That's what i carry.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 PM

Avoid the pressure and get a Twheel!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wcorkey
The door sticker on my '06 2lt reads 35psi. That's what i carry.
Yeap, and I've been running 39 psi.(cold) in my factory 17"'s and been getting even wear all around....&.. 23.8 city..consistantly...don't drive enough hwy. to check it yet.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

You guys are right. I misread my sticker when I brought my HHR home. I have been driving around on 32 psi thinking it was correct. Maybe that's part of the reason I have never seen more than 24 mpg out of my HHR.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure