Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
No sensor in the spare. And there is no room in the compact wheel to install one. It wouldn't matter if it had one. It would still have to be programmed.
I guess that means there won't be too many people driving around on their spare tire for a year and a half then...

As much as I like these for safety and convenience, I think they are a hassle, and just something else to go wrong and cost people money they don't have.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM

I'm having trouble reprogramming our '08s sensors after a tire rotation.

Following the manuals instructions of course..

After i put it into programming mode by holding lock and unlock on the fob the manual says the drivers side signal is supposed to come on. By coming on do they just mean light up or blink? All my parking lights just come on.

I continued trying to program by letting out the air on the drivers front tire..no single horn blow like the manual says. After a bit I just get 2 short toots which i assume is my 2 minute time limit running out.

So aggravating..I'm usually really good at figuing out stuff like this,but after about a hour trying to figure it out i'm at my wits end.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Smallblock

After i put it into programming mode by holding lock and unlock on the fob the manual says the drivers side signal is supposed to come on. By coming on do they just mean light up or blink? All my parking lights just come on.

I continued trying to program by letting out the air on the drivers front tire..no single horn blow like the manual says. After a bit I just get 2 short toots which i assume is my 2 minute time limit running out.

So aggravating..I'm usually really good at figuing out stuff like this,but after about a hour trying to figure it out i'm at my wits end.
Was this by any chance a former rental car? If so , the computer will need to be programmed, I went through the nitemare. Also, the manual neglects to say turn auto lights off, so you can tell when the marker is on. And you did not mention if Key on,engine off.
Don
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 AM

Does anyone know the accuracy of these pressure monitors? My hand gauge says that my tires are at 32psi while the car's system has them at 36psi. The hand gauge I have is pretty accurate, but I am wondering if I should buy a new one.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Having read all the way through this, and not seeing the answer I need.. can you take the TPMS from one set of rims (my Shadow Edition rims) and transfer them to a set of LS Steel rims (my soon to be rims)?

Kevin
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM

You didn't read very thoroughly then. It is stated a couple times that you can, but you may need to replace the valve stem.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Do apologize, I must have missed it reading when tired. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty
I bought a set of 4 for my winter rims (new in boxes) off of Ebay for under $40. They're made by Schraeder, who I believe is the OEM maker for GM.

Krusty.
I had searched ebay and did not find this low a price. Can you provide the vendor's ID so I can search them out? Were yours rubber or metal? I suspect that the rubber ones came with steel wheels and the metal ones on aluminum rims
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by greendot
I had searched ebay and did not find this low a price. Can you provide the vendor's ID so I can search them out? Were yours rubber or metal? I suspect that the rubber ones came with steel wheels and the metal ones on aluminum rims
I am sure that somebody will correct me, but I think that metal stems were used in the "non-specific" TPMS systems (the ones that only register a fault, then you figure out which one). At least 2008-2009 the actual working part is attached to the inside end of the stem, in other words the stem is a separate part from the TPMS unit. It is a special stem with threads on the inner side.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Smallblock

My 08 had the same problem. there is a tsb to reprogram the body controler you will have to go to the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring FAQ's