"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fixed my water leak, last night!!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM

For 2008/2009 with leaks, this seems to indicate the 2008/2009 don't have this specific leak location. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...2water+leak%22
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by tooter1

1. Remove the left and right wiper arms. Pop off the cover and use a 15mm socket to loosen the nut.
With the hood still up, lift the drivers side and it should remove pretty easily, the passenger side will be a little more difficult, I had to remove the blade assembly, but I got it off.

2. Remove the four 7 mm screws (be patient they are about 2.5 in. long) and the two push-in retainers from each side of the grille panel.

3. Remove the five wire harness retainers from the grille panel.

4. Lift the panel up and place it on the engine or off to the side after you unplug the washer fluid hose.

5. Then you will see the patch that was causing my problem.

6. I removed the butyl patch and cleaned the area with sticker remover. On the car and on the butyl patch.

7. Ran a bead of black rtv silicone sealant around the patch, let it sit about 3 minutes then reinstalled on the car and pressed down around the edges to make a better seal.

8. Installation is the reverse of removal, just don't forget to tuck the weatherstrip into the side weatherstrip that runs down the fenders.
Very nice write up and photos! Did this on my '06 today. I hope it does the trick. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Fixed my water leak, last night!!

Replaced patch last nite. New patch was about $10. It's better than the old flimsy black rubbery one! They are now a much stiffer, transparant piece of plastic with the adhesive already on it - Just peel off the paper and slap the new one on.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Dunny, where did you buy your replacement piece? This was repaired once under warranty for me on my 2006 2LT. I have a feeling it may soon become an issue again and want to repair it before it becomes an issue.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Water leak

Hi Briand - I think I got it here:
http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/par...=7&catalogid=2
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 AM

water leak

Briand - This is another web-site that has the water deflector:
http://www.partswebsite.com/hendrick...122&type=parts
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Passenger side water leak

I had a small leak from the cowl area also. The thin rubber or plastic patch GM provides is too flimsy to keep water out. Even if you go buy a brand new seal, it will fail in again. The permanent fix is what some others have done. Get a thin piece of aluminum or steel, 26 gauge is fine, and trace the cover and cut it out. Make the two screw holes as small as possible for better sealing. Then use black RTV sealer/adhesive all around the edge and put the new patch back into place. I put some weight on the cover and waited an hour or so for the RTV to set up. I then took some aluminum tape and covered the entire new patch to ensure a water and air tight seal and put the cowl back on. A permanent fix to the problem.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting this. My problem was exactly the same (including my fan speeds). I did the repair this morning; now, I'm just waiting on rain!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Wow Thanks Tooter you save me some bucks, I'm having that same problem, but I have to wait until it dry up around here, been getting lots of rain against my wishes, but soon as it is clear I will be all over it, thanks again man, to bad the dealers counldn't figer this out with a price tag on it.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Got it dine

Thanks to Tooter I got my water deflector fix today, when I took the crowl off today, the patch was sitting down in the hole, I took it out cleaned around the area, then applied the sillicone, waited a few minutes, then put my new deflector on, I press down on it all the way around then let it sit for about and hour before putting everything back together, now all I have to do is wait for the rain to come, now I needing to fix that stupid Sunroof wind deflector, and everything would be all good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixed my water leak, last night!!