Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.0L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/gm-performance-parts-turbo-upgrade-kit-19891/)

bigjacksauto 08-09-2012 04:28 PM

James kept mentioning to me that it appears that my car is possibly seeing a certain amount of torque and therefore is not making the proper boost.
That theory appears to be correct

If I go from a roll with say 10" or less boost and floor it I get15 psi boost.
If I let off the pedal and get say 11" plus vacuum and floor it 22 plus psi everytime.Over and over.:twothumbs:
so it appears it is seeing torque? and pulling power if I start with less than 10" vacuum
Not sure if that is just the way the gm tune is or if I have something wrong?

Good thing I now know that I have to get the boost down low from a roll to get the GMTU to pull like it should before that ferrari pulled up next to me
just kidding.:lol:
Not sure if I should bring in to the dealer or not now.

XtremeSS 08-09-2012 08:05 PM

This makes sense about the vaccum. My manual does the same thing as my auto but was not as noticable. if I floor it while already in the gear I need to b in max acceleration, it will boost as you describe ~14-18 psi. But when I let off gas for a shift I create said vaccum, pushing boost # to 20+, therefore making this issue less noticeable with the manual trans.
I assure you that what you are describing is normal since my auto and manual have had similar characteristics. Unless all three of the mentioned vehicles are f**ked but I doubt it.
In any case, You can achieve the higher boost #s but you have to know how to do it. It will become second nature soon enough.

bigjacksauto 08-10-2012 09:37 AM

Thanks for confirming that extreme
This under some ways I see as a plus.
Two tunes in one.
Someone could make a 40-65 pull next to someone
With the lower boost and then if it's close go again making sure to start with vacuum 10" or more
then hit it with 22 plus psi meanwhile you pull two cars
Woops sorry not sure what happened that time lol
Thanks again

firemangeorge 08-10-2012 11:57 AM

So bigjack. Is this kind of along the lines of what I was trying to explain in my PM to you? If so, then I understand(sort of).
I kind of wish my boost gauge would show vaccuum, then I could get a better picture of this.

bigjacksauto 08-13-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 662553)
So bigjack. Is this kind of along the lines of what I was trying to explain in my PM to you? If so, then I understand(sort of).
I kind of wish my boost gauge would show vaccuum, then I could get a better picture of this.

Well Kind of what you described in the pm
but I think you said you boosted 19 psi
Try and drive along on the highway in whatever gear and floor it very slowly
notice boost then try it by downshifting at which point I would assume you would be around 20" vaccum then floor it and I am betting you might see more boost.
but this is more noticeable in the Autos by the sounds of it.
as I mentioned above

If I go from a roll with say 10" or less boost and floor it I get15 psi boost.
If I let off the pedal and get say 11" plus vacuum and floor it 22 plus psi everytime.Over and over.
As James told me it appears that when it floor it with minimal vacuum or boost the car appears to decide to give me x amount of power.
when it does not sense that I am applying any power (when it shows 11" or higher vacuum) it boosts 22 plus everytime:monkeydance::monkeydance:

bigjacksauto 08-13-2012 11:15 AM

Fireman
just had an idea do you by any chance have a android phone by any chance
there is an App called TORQUE which will allow you to view just about everything going on in your engine including a vacuum/boost gauge.
Bare bones app is free and the full blown all bells and whistles app is $5.00
the only other thing you would need is a bluetooth OBDII (elm327)which are about $15.00 on ebay
This app is one of the many reasons why I put up with the monthly crazy telephone bill
Here is a video of a supercharged corvette using it watch the vacuum gauge turn into a boost gauge once he gets on it.

here is a review which explains it a bit but the steering wheel on the car in the video is on the wrong side lol

firemangeorge 08-13-2012 12:23 PM

Sorry, but no Android. That app looks really neat. Maybe I need to upgrade my phone and join the modern electronics age.:lol:

Thanks for the reply bigjack.

foxtrotraptor 08-13-2012 06:53 PM

I just got my GMTU from crate engine depot. To the guys that have bought the new kit with the quick connect harnesses All it came with are the 2 new quick connect harnesses and a small bag with 2 blue O rings and some decals. Is this all I need for the new kit? Or did crate engine depot forget something??

bigjacksauto 08-13-2012 07:46 PM

Should have the Bosch tmap sensors one connected to each harness
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Coba...HK-P10773.aspx
Call tom at crate engine depot great guy to deal with
877-441-5150
Should have come in a square box with an instruction booklet and a slip of paper with a checklist of parts.
You did buy the 19212670 kit for a little or $500.00 correct

foxtrotraptor 08-13-2012 08:31 PM

Oh ok yeah that's what I have. They are already connected to the harness. I guess someone already did it for me. The bags that hold each harness were already open with the Bosch sensors already connected. Idk if that's normal or not

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto (Post 663166)
Should have the Bosch tmap sensors one connected to each harness
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Coba...HK-P10773.aspx
Call tom at crate engine depot great guy to deal with
877-441-5150
Should have come in a square box with an instruction booklet and a slip of paper with a checklist of parts.
You did buy the 19212670 kit for a little or $500.00 correct