2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

HP Tuners VCM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Lightbulb HP Tuners VCM Questions

I am thinking about ordering the HP tuners. I have several questions about it and was hoping I could get some answers before ordering.

1. Do I have to reflash my ecu back to stock for it to work?

2. Can I edit my current tune with the suite? (Trifecta or Superchips)

3. Can I make adjustments to my tranny? (auto)

4. Do I need additional credits for multiple tunes on the same vehicle?

5. Does it come with a canned tune?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2008 HHR SS - Black Auto - Trifecta custom tune - KN Intake - ZZP catted dp - IC piping - Dejon spring - PLX scan gauge w/boost module
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM

No
No
Yes
No
No
Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Is there a way of data logging and estimating where to set the parameters from a tune? I know there aren't too many on here that like the superchips tune, but I think it makes my car run like a champ. The acceleration and idle is so much smoother with this tune and it doesn't sound like crap on cold starts. I would like have a similar tune to the superchips, but at 22-24 psi instead of 19-20.

Also, My zzp dp keeps causing a p013 code. Can I delete this sensor or alter the ranges that set the code with the HP tuners?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Do a search on HPTuners forum for LNF tuning guide. The MAF has to be tuned for the increased airflow. I have an auto. I'd be willing to let ppl borrow a copy of my tunes, but if your add-on parts differ from mine you'd need to fine tune for them. You can open a comparison tune along with your stock one and see what is different. Obviously, you would use/copy my info at your own risk since I do not profess to be a professional. HPTuners has plenty of logging features. There is a config file that can be used to log exactly what needs logging on our LNF engine.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Timb727
I am thinking about ordering the HP tuners. I have several questions about it and was hoping I could get some answers before ordering.

1. Do I have to reflash my ecu back to stock for it to work?

2. Can I edit my current tune with the suite? (Trifecta or Superchips)

3. Can I make adjustments to my tranny? (auto)

4. Do I need additional credits for multiple tunes on the same vehicle?

5. Does it come with a canned tune?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2008 HHR SS - Black Auto - Trifecta custom tune - KN Intake - ZZP catted dp - IC piping - Dejon spring - PLX scan gauge w/boost module

ok i was on my phone when i gave you the short answer lol so here you go:

1. you don't have to flash back to stock but if you don't first you have lost your stock file so i recommend you starting with a stock tune and let the hptuners read the stock file...save it and you can come back to it later.

2. i may have mis spoke on this one....you may be able to but i wouldn't.

3. yes i believe there are some transmission tables in hptuners....damn could be wrong tho lol

4. to license your VIN you need 2 credits...that is all you need for YOUR car

5. does not come with any type of canned tune or base file or anything. there are some tunes in the tune repository but last i looked they were dated and don't have any of the new hptuner tables in them. if you do get a "canned" file somewhere....please log and make changes to it...it was not designed for your car.....fuel trims could be off, could have kr, could be too much timing, could be tuned to rich or lean, etc
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM

Be smart. Start with incremental changes (saved as separate files) on your stock file. (save original separate) and log between each change. If a change is bad, revert to the last saved version. Don't start with a full on tune made for a different car.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 AM

Ok last question. Does it read the current settings of my current tune and allow me to adjust or does it start you off from scratch?

Thanks for the helpful info
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM

What ever have now you can change it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

You might want to ask Trifecta about compatibility with HPTuners. I've read some things saying that HPTuners will not read a Trifecta tune properly. While you may not have to, I would suggest starting from your stock tune to help you learn HPTuners. My stock tune, by and large, matched most of the numbers in the tutorials I found. (auto has some different numbers than manual in certain tables) That helped alot since I could more easily identify that I was looking at the correct table that was being explained.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS

3. yes i believe there are some transmission tables in hptuners....damn could be wrong tho lol
Yes it does have quite a few tuning tables for an auto trans.
I raised my shift points up and selected "performance" mode among other things. Nice!