2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

It's amazing, that a piece of plastic tubing, can make such a big difference...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
and that's what I call hot rodding! changing parts to improve performance,
I traded in my 2013 V6 Challenger w/6K for my SS with 20K on the clock.
I did this to the intake tube of the Challenger
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...&1426802864261

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...&1426803045125

I also made an oil catch can for the PCV system (don't mind the "kinked" hose I fixed that)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...&1426803045125

I'm using the silicone reducers you see in those pictures to install the K&N pipe. They are the same size as what K&N gives you.

3" semi ridged drier duct tubing can be your friend. lol.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-3069_inst.pdf

I recently removed my K&N filter, & intake tube, for cleaning / maintenance.
What a difference...
I lost my nice, crisp, around town, throttle response.

After putting just the K&N intake tube, back in place, my nice, & crisp,
throttle response, returned...

I knew that the increased diameter, of the tubing, at the turbo end, removed
the choke point, the restriction, of the intake side of things, for HP gain.
But I didn't realize, how much of a difference, that it made, for low-speed,
around town, daily driving, throttle response...

It's an easy 10 minute switch, maybe 20 minutes the 1st time, & can easily, be swapped out for warranty work, if anyone still has a warranty.
Hi
After reading this I did purchase just the pipe and quick connect fitting from K&N and installed it today after work. I'm using the stock OEM air filter and I'm going to agree the pipe alone does make a difference.
At first I thought "yeah it's mind over matter" but I realized without putting my foot into it, the thing (HHR), accelerated a lot smoother. I entered the Expressway like I normally do and was up to 80 with no problem.
Backed it down to 70 and at one point had to get around someone. Again not being an animal I pass this person and now I'm doing 90!
As far as the install, the clamp at the turbo inlet is not a user friendly area.
Question about warranty. Why would this be a problem? You can change your exhaust and there no issues with the dealer?
Thanks
P.S. Saw the oil at the intake to the turbo. Looks like I'll have to make another oil catch can, lol.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 AM

I hate to be "that guy" who drags threads out of history to ask a question, but ...

Did you run this setup for a while or did you go ahead and add the rest of the K&N setup? I am a notorious tightwad and if I can get some gains for $50 I am all about that!

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Hi
After reading this I did purchase just the pipe and quick connect fitting from K&N and installed it today after work. I'm using the stock OEM air filter and I'm going to agree the pipe alone does make a difference.
At first I thought "yeah it's mind over matter" but I realized without putting my foot into it, the thing (HHR), accelerated a lot smoother. I entered the Expressway like I normally do and was up to 80 with no problem.
Backed it down to 70 and at one point had to get around someone. Again not being an animal I pass this person and now I'm doing 90!
As far as the install, the clamp at the turbo inlet is not a user friendly area.
Question about warranty. Why would this be a problem? You can change your exhaust and there no issues with the dealer?
Thanks
P.S. Saw the oil at the intake to the turbo. Looks like I'll have to make another oil catch can, lol.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Did you run this setup for a while or did you go ahead and add the rest of the K&N setup? I am a notorious tightwad and if I can get some gains for $50 I am all about that!
I still have the K&N pipe on only but am going to put the OEM pipe back on for the simple fact it has a check valve in it for the valve cover hose that attaches to it and if you look in the stock pipe there is a snorkel vs the K&N.
I hooked up an oil separator only to the turbo and it really doesn't catch a lot of oil.
If I could fab up the two things the OEM pipe I would reinstall the K&N pipe.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

I installed the pipe only, way back when. My Daughters car now, still tickled pink I took Daves advice, gut the second cat for the full "Dave" effect

I have done the k&n on the next 3 hhrs, tube&filter only on the SS's works fine.

Thanks again Dave.........it's an auto she likes to leave the boys wondering ??
Attached Thumbnails It's amazing, that a piece of plastic tubing, can make such a big difference...-20170910_123208.jpg  
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I installed the pipe only, way back when. My Daughters car now, still tickled pink I took Daves advice, gut the second cat for the full "Dave" effect

I have done the k&n on the next 3 hhrs, tube&filter only on the SS's works fine.

Thanks again Dave.........it's an auto she likes to leave the boys wondering ??
Do you have any pictures of this set up ?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Stevenr2894
Do you have any pictures of this set up ?
SS fan hasn't been on the site in a while. You could try a PM (private message) to him. He may have message notification set up and might get back with you.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Ok, thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Also, try this site Honeycomb for MAF I had use an air straightener on the intake for my 94 Impala SS just ahead of the card maf.
It's JB welded in position just after the flex joint connection before the maf.
Halltech HC.125 Laminar Airflow Straightener Screen

Bringing old thread back up... questions.
The SaxonPC mesh mentioned above or the Halltech mentioned at beginning of thread.
Are these still considered a beneficial add-on? Are the larger holes of Halltech still shown as a good street benefit?
Is the 2.0L using the Delphi 85 MAF, the Halltech indicates 85 MAF that it fits.

The K&N MAF Pipe, interesting add-on when K&N filter or CAI was discouraged in several threads as no benefit gained... overall neutral gain.
But the K&N Pipe provides an improvement in throttle response, and low drivability... and helps prevent CEI pops.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Hi
As a science project I just ordered the intake tube and "breather" fitting from K&N for my SS.
I have silicone reducer coupler's from another project I did that I got from Ebay.
I'm using the stock round air cleaner. I've read some articles about air cleaner performance and air flow isn't that much different between OEM and K&N filters, if anything at all.
Called K&N at 800-858 3333 and ordered:
P/N 087147A Intake tube $40.99
P/N 08938 Breather tube fitting $5.58
Will it make a difference? Don't know until I install it.
Can't see spending $250 when it cost me like $47.00 shipped.
Thanks
The new kit prices is $349.

These parts are still available for order.
I just ordered them today for 53 bucks.

Quick Reply: It's amazing, that a piece of plastic tubing, can make such a big difference...