2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Performance comparison 2.4L with Tune v/s Stock SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Performance comparison 2.4L with Tune v/s Stock SS

Giving thought to buying a Stock 2009/2010 SS Auto ...
Would anybody have an opinion on how it would compare to a 2.4L with just a Tune and no other add on's to either HHR?

Mainly concerned with the 0- 70 performance. Roads around here won't safely handle higher speeds.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 11-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Beside the 120 HP and 120 Ft. Lb.?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Good luck in your quest ! Their getting hard to find and the ones you find are beat!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 PM

Yes I realize that.... That is one reason I am looking at a Stock SS.
With few exceptions it should not have had as much stress on all the components.
The Turbo Update kits are still available should I get the urge to add.
I am mainly looking at finding one with as low mileage as possible.
I am not in any hurry but one can pop up at anytime if I am looking.
Found a 2008 100 miles from me with only 39,000 miles but I really want the 2009 window switch updates and the functional top dash storage box.
Also looking in states and cities where no snow issues for corrosion.
My current 2011 is clean underneath. It came from Missouri with Low Miles.
Not going to be a slam dunk for sure.....

Silverfox
Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Silverfox.
All year SS's have the same window switch location in the door. The 2010's will not have a functional dash storage since they all came with the RPD unit mounted in that spot..
Have you driven a SS before ? You may be shocked at how harsh the ride is with the FE5 suspension compared to the LS and LT's.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM

If true, grab that '08 or lose. The window switches ARE on the doors for 08 SS, and the center junk box is there. It's not as useful as you might think. The dash gets hot as hell in summer. No electronics should dwell in there without some air.

I always wanted the RPD. To each his own...
Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
If true, grab that '08 or lose. The window switches ARE on the doors for 08 SS, and the center junk box is there. It's not as useful as you might think. The dash gets hot as hell in summer. No electronics should dwell in there without some air.

I always wanted the RPD. To each his own...
I know what you mean about the Junk Box in hot weather as I was in Idaho when the temp hit 110 for 3 days straight. I left there promptly and came back to the West Coast.
75 degrees is a warm day here so I do not find the sun on the dash to much of a problem and I do not put anything temp sensitive in the box.
I am checking out the 2008 as soon as I can get ahold of the owner......Got a lot of questions.
Could be gone already since it's been a week since I saw it.
SF
Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Silverfox.
All year SS's have the same window switch location in the door. The 2010's will not have a functional dash storage since they all came with the RPD unit mounted in that spot..
Have you driven a SS before ? You may be shocked at how harsh the ride is with the FE5 suspension compared to the LS and LT's.
George,
Thanks for reply info.
No...I have not driven the SS and I have kicked myself for not buying a new one when I had the chance in 2009 and 2010.
Even though I have not driven one I have still given thought as to if I could dampen down the harsh ride enough without creating handling issues.
I have done that to my 2011 2LT and it has turned out excellent.
I lowered the rear with Cobalt SS/SC springs, installed new KYB Rear shocks, and added a TTR Rear Sway Bar.
Then I replaced the stock 17"OE. tires and wheels with Brand New Stock 5 spoke 16" Steel Wheels and 215/60/16 Michelin Ice3 tires set @ 30lbs psi. cold. They run so well I will leave them on all year.
Those changes made it run softer and handle much better all around then Stock.

If I were to stick with a "Stock SS Auto" do you think making damping down changes to the suspension and tires would be an acceptable option since I do not have any intention of romping it past 70-75 mph for short spurts. My 2LT is very smooth, steady, and solid feeling at those speeds.
Just trying to justify an SS and not get beat to death.

SF
Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 PM
Administrator

As snow rated tires have a much softer compound I recommend only running them when the temperatures are below 45 degrees, to prolong thread life.
Michelin states they are rated for 60,000 miles , but I believe that to be in cold weather
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Steve,
Your correct on the compounding but because I normally drive here @ 60 or less.....Mostly less. I have no problem with running them all year..
I had this "run year around" thought a while back because I do not want to have to demount and remount snow or store extra tires and wheels.
Once I get my tire assemblies running perfect I do not want to disturb them.
I bought a new set of Michelin Ice i3 @ 27,500 miles and just removed and replaced them with a new set.
Fresh winter tires for this season.

They had 12,300 miles on them. This first set is my trial set.
The fronts had 9/32 and the rears had 9.5/32 when I took them off. New ... They have 10.5/32
The Ice i3 are Warrantied for 40,000 miles to 2/32
Warranty is Winter use only but I don't care about that. They run super good here all year around.
On the HHR it looks like the mileage is approx. 10,000 miles per 32nd.
That's 85,000 miles when worn to 2/32.
That means I could get at least 4 -5 seasons or more with still enough tread depth for snow.depending on when I feel I want to update again.
So my point is, Why take them off and put on Summer tires.... Because of where I now Live there is no reason to be concerned.

The other thing I found out......I thought the 215/60/16 XL Tires with the higher "aspect ratio" might not be as stable on heavy corners at higher speeds and only 30psi.
They feel solid and stable at up to 60mph in fairly sharp corners with the TTR Bar on the rear.
Of course each corner turn can be banked differently so that makes a difference as well.
SF

Quick Reply: Performance comparison 2.4L with Tune v/s Stock SS