Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.0L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   Ticking engine noise (actually a wheel bearing hub) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/ticking-engine-noise-actually-wheel-bearing-hub-61035/)

Lethal Tendencies 11-06-2018 09:33 AM

Ticking engine noise (actually a wheel bearing hub)

Started getting a ticking engine noise while driving. Don't hear it at idle. '09 SS 87,000 miles. Possibly timing chain ?

whopper 11-06-2018 10:05 AM

Possibly - possibly a pebble stuck in tread of a tire......... could be a problem with the serpentine belt................ in other words it could be a number of things, and anything we can suggest would be just a guess, but will give you a list of things to check. I think you are gonna have to get your hands dirty to diagnose it further. .

Lethal Tendencies 11-06-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 855316)
Possibly - possibly a pebble stuck in tread of a tire......... could be a problem with the serpentine belt................ in other words it could be a number of things, and anything we can suggest would be just a guess, but will give you a list of things to check. I think you are gonna have to get your hands dirty to diagnose it further. .

Thanks for the possible suggestions. Would a timing chain problem make noise all the time?

Ohiocruiser 11-06-2018 11:52 AM

What I noticed with any car forum is it usually very helpful with letting you know how to fix the problem, not how to diagnose it. Especially something with the noise.

donbrew 11-06-2018 01:29 PM

Timing chains "normally" do their rattling when cold, before the oil gets flowing.

Oldblue 11-06-2018 06:30 PM

It could be the HPFP making noise and ticking , logically it would make noise at all times.
it could be the. front timing chain guide

Lethal Tendencies 11-07-2018 02:14 PM

Well I am leaning towards it being a wheel bearing noise. I can rev the motor and hear nothing. And it seems to increase with speed. I have had bearings go out before but they never sounded like this. So I am going to replace the fronts with MOOG bearings. Thanks for the input. I will report back with my findings.

Oldblue 11-07-2018 06:11 PM

Ok, please let us know.

whopper 11-07-2018 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser (Post 855323)
What I noticed with any car forum is it usually very helpful with letting you know how to fix the problem, not how to diagnose it. Especially something with the noise.

Big true on that difficulty diagnosing noise issues. This one started out as a suspected engine noise, and it now it is suspecting the wheel bearings. Hopefully the bearings will resolve it.

Ohiocruiser 11-08-2018 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 855367)
Big true on that difficulty diagnosing noise issues. This one started out as a suspected engine noise, and it now it is suspecting the wheel bearings. Hopefully the bearings will resolve it.

I don't see how bearing would make any ticking noises. Might be a good idea to pay good mechanic to find the problem, and than fix it yourself. But of course even good mechanic might make mistake. Make a video clip with that ticking sound and post it here.