2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Tmap Mounting Cold air intake CAC ?'s **need help**

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Tmap Mounting Cold air intake CAC ?'s **need help**

Well as some of you may already know I had my GMTU
Turbo upgrade installed Friday
Problems I am having

Recentley installed vacuum motor assist for brakes appears to be not working since I have the first thing in the morning hard brake pedal again.
Bringing back to the dealer for this hopefully a different reflash will fix this.

Other problem is when car is launched or you take of quickly from a dead stop from a light it will produce 20-22 psi of boost then the boost will drop off
to zero then come right back.
after talking to Crate Engine Depot
I looked at the lower Tmap sensor I could actually see the Oring another words it popped out.
Pushed it back in same thing pops out
after further inspection I can see that the tech did not follow the instructions on taking off the boss of the tmap sensor as directed to get a flush mount
I am hoping that they will do this and it will correct the problem unless it is simply being pushed out when the engine torques up and moves???

I guess my biggest problem now is that I noticed that the little rubber hose next to the lower tmap appeared to be loose I touched it slightly and it moved another words the nipple was cracked. took it off inserted a metal sleeve and epoxied it back on seems ok for now.

Not sure if the dealer will replace the CAC pipe that the tmap sensor mounts to
if they wont how exactly hard is it for me to remove it it appears that it just presses into the other pipes???

Anyone out there willing to sell theres that has updated to an aftermaket one???

part# is 15933162
new part # is 20828755
Name:  IMAG1105.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  27.5 KB
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 AM

I would say they either did not get a good seal on the lower T map as you do need to cut a notch off of it for the install. It is not a bolt on deal or it will leak.

The other issue is the engine torques back and the T map can hit the AC compressor and lose boost. To fix it you need to remove the front bumper and use some fender washers to shim it forward just a hair. You also may get lucky and may just be able to push the hose on more as you only need a 1/8 approx.

Mine hit the compressor and two Washers fixed it. I would take off and it would get to 17-18 PSI on a hard launch from stop and then the boost would drop and take off again. On a easy launch I could get to 23 PSI. The movement of the engine from a dead stop was the issue.

The way your sensor looks I would think they did not modify the sensor for install and it is not making a good seal.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks
I am assuming I will have to take the bumper off myself and move forward?
Is there instructions in here on how to do it and hiw long will that take me?
Also I was told by another member that if I install a ttr mount that would help the motor from rocking.
and having the tmap get hit? Sounds like another option But may hurt warranty.
Wouldn't it make sense to turn the sensor 180 degrees?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Thanks
I am assuming I will have to take the bumper off myself and move forward?
Is there instructions in here on how to do it and hiw long will that take me?
Also I was told by another member that if I install a ttr mount that would help the motor from rocking.
and having the tmap get hit? Sounds like another option But may hurt warranty.
Wouldn't it make sense to turn the sensor 180 degrees?
The dealer moved my IC under warranty and it did not cost me a dime. But I also have a very good dealer to work with.

Turning the sensor will work sometimes but some vehicles there is still not enough room.

The issue is the intercooler and tubing are not all in the same place in all SS. there is a variance the locations due to the mounts etc in all of them.

Note the Map is from a Alfa Romeo and that is why it needs to be modified and that it points in the wrong direction. GM made this kit while they were headed into the bail outs and it is amazing they even got it done. The T MAp is an off the shelf 3 bar they used to retain cost.

There was a thread here on removing the bumper here some place if you search.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info
The dealer has another cac on order.
They did have the correct flash according to them.
They reflashed it I will see how the brakes are in the morning.
They said that I would have to drop it off in the morning sometime to see what's up with the brakes I was hoping they could see if the pump was working or not.not site if it is supposed to work all the time or just in the morning?
They ground the nub of the tmap this time hopefully it will stay put.
they said they could maybe mount 180 degrees when they put the cac in.
Any pics I could show them on the ic fender shims?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Shimming the Ic forward is not necessary with the factory cold side pipe. You can achieve the same result by cutting approx. "1 off of the end of the cold side coupler attached to the Ic(this has been stated before by others). There is some rubber formed around the t-bolt clamp that can be removed easily to do the modification so you can move the clamp to the desired location.
Flipping the sensor 180 will not work without other modifications, as it will rest against the fan shroud.

I got tired of dealing with this clearance issue as well and that^ would be the way I would have made more clearance. It's simple and you do not have to tale off bumper cover to do so. However I have solid cold side pipes so I had to fab custom radiator mounts to move it forward "3/4 so I could flip the sensor 180.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Shim bracket #7 on both sides out there with no issue. This drawing and the shim recomendation came from the lead engineer on this program at GMPD.

Cutting the tube may also work but if the dealer is doing it let them do it the way GM recomends. This adjustment should be considered part of the install.

There was a special flash for SS that had the Vaccume Pump added. It is on GM's system and many dealers fail to check for this. THat has been part of the issue with thes kits. The system only works as well as the dealer that installed it. My dealer was super and no issues other than this clearance deal.

Note they can check it before tearing into the car buy putting a piece of carboard or something else to keep the plug from hitting the AC compressor. I used a piece of roll bar padding as a temp support to hold the clearance. Once I proved where it was then the dealer went to town.

THis was a difficult one to find as on the rack every thing clears. But under a load on the ground you forget how much the engine moves.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all of the great info.
Xtremess
.are you saying that the dealer could take off the tclamp #10 in the schematic / drawing above
And then pull off the rubber hose cut off 1" then put back together which I'm theory would pull the hose away from the engine?

Hyperv6. Are you saying to only shim with like 2 fender washers that would only more everything like 1/8"
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Yes..approx "1, techs discretion on how much to remove
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Thanks for all of the great info.
Xtremess
.are you saying that the dealer could take off the tclamp #10 in the schematic / drawing above
And then pull off the rubber hose cut off 1" then put back together which I'm theory would pull the hose away from the engine?

Hyperv6. Are you saying to only shim with like 2 fender washers that would only more everything like 1/8"
It all depends on how much you need. 1/8 to just a little more should do it but that is something they will have to check once it is installed. It take only a little to clear. Also they can test drive it with the bumper cover off but watch the fender wells as at speed they can hit the tires and rub.

I would check with the dealer and see if they are going to take care of it. If you can not get a dealer to do it at no charge you can cut the tube but use care as you can ways remove more but you can't put it back on.

Quick Reply: Tmap Mounting Cold air intake CAC ?'s **need help**