Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.0L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   Turbo boost question (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/turbo-boost-question-43962/)

Shaggyofwv 12-14-2012 06:57 PM

Turbo boost question

I am new to boosted vehicles as I have always been a "there is no replacement for displacement" kind of guy.. So please take that into consideration when reading this question:

When I am in first gear (5 speed) I can only get the turbo to go into the "boost" area on the turbo gauge when I pretty much floor it. If I just use partial throttle it stays in the "vac" area of the gauge, usually around zero. In any other gear it seems to go into the "boost" area just fine. I can hear the turbo whine in other gears, but I don't really seem to hear it much in first.

Is this normal?

10RedSS 12-14-2012 07:09 PM

you don't get full boost in 1st gear for the sake of traction.

Shaggyofwv 12-14-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 10RedSS (Post 683723)
you don't get full boost in 1st gear for the sake of traction.

I understand that they limit the amount of boost, but is it normal for it to hover around zero in first gear unless I floor it?

XtremeSS 12-14-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggyofwv (Post 683726)
I understand that they limit the amount of boost, but is it normal for it to hover around zero in first gear unless I floor it?

Yes. I've noticed I don't build boost even in 2nd unless I am about 3/4 throttle. I believe it is to make the car more driveable and less of a gas hog

Shaggyofwv 12-14-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS (Post 683729)
Yes. I've noticed I don't build boost even in 2nd unless I am about 3/4 throttle. I believe it is to make the car more driveable and less of a gas hog

Ok. Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having boost issues.

firemangeorge 12-14-2012 09:19 PM

1st gear w/5speed should limit around 5lbs, unless you have the GM Turbo upgrade.

Shaggyofwv 12-15-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 683737)
1st gear w/5speed should limit around 5lbs, unless you have the GM Turbo upgrade.

I purchased the turbo upgrade but I haven't had it installed yet. What does it limit boost to AFTER the upgrade?

IgottaWoody 12-15-2012 09:39 AM

Boost is set up to come in under load..in first where the gearing is high the loads are not the same as in other gears,,and its a short gear so one can imagine the problems if it wer to go full boost...its not set up like a race car

Sidecardog1 12-16-2012 12:02 AM

Mines a 5spd with the LSD and the GMTU. I get 5psi in first and the other gears get about 20psi +/- depending on atmospheric conditions. You can accelerate in a reasonably fast manner to up to redline and not hit boost. However, if you push more on the pedal while accelerating, you will see the boost climb gradually unless you floor it, then it goes to full boost right away. Yours sounds like it is the same as mine. You are probably maxing on boost at about 15 psi.

AJL08SS 12-16-2012 08:36 PM

I get full boost in all gears, bone stock minus the exhaust. I'm sure we've all realized that without sticky shoes anything beyond 5 psi in first gear shreds them, even with the LSD :two thumbs: