Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   Is a 2.2 to 2.4 engine swap possible (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/2-2-2-4-engine-swap-possible-53572/)

KCCO 04-14-2015 07:10 PM

Is a 2.2 to 2.4 engine swap possible

I have looked all over the forum (yes i used the search bar) and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I have an engine swap question. I have a decent hookup on motors and parts I have a 2006 2.2 hhr and I have about 130,000 miles on it.
The question I have is I am wanting to do a engine swap for the 2.4 Ecotec and I know I need to swap computers but is the wiring harness the same(I’m sure they are not)? Is there any other things I should expect? And let me just put it out there now that no I'm not ready to drop $10,000 on a SS HHR. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oldblue 04-14-2015 07:59 PM

2.2 doesn't have VVT the 2.4 does so wire harness and computers would need to be swapped out
I've wondered about the differences like could I install the 2.4 block and the 2.2 head to raise compression kinda like putting 305 heads on a 350 SBC , but the VVT would prohibit it

KCCO 04-15-2015 12:18 AM

What about transmission will the 2.2 bolt up to the 2.4? Has anyone on here done this before?

843de 04-15-2015 02:17 AM

As far as I know, the bell housings are the same on the 2.2's and 2.4's, but with the electronic differences as pointed out by Oldblue...economics vs. a marginal gain in power need to be weighed.

Oldblue 04-15-2015 06:07 AM

I'd go with a 2.2 VIN matched engine!

donbrew 04-15-2015 06:16 AM

Don't forget the BCM probably needs changing also.

Which wiring harness are asking about? The engine harness is obviously different. You could maybe ask the donor for computer and harness. A lot of times they cut the harness off to save time, but if you want the package that would save them more time.

07azhhr 04-15-2015 12:37 PM

Were the 06 2.4's drive by wire like the 07 and up HHR's? Or did they also still have an actual throttle cable like the 2.2 did in 06? If they use a cable then an 06 specific might be needed or at least the throttle body from one. If not then a electronic throttle pedal would be needed.

donbrew 04-15-2015 12:41 PM

Somebody corrected me a while ago about the cable. I was told all HHR have electronic throttle control.

Oldblue 04-15-2015 12:55 PM

Only way to be sure is open the hood on the patient and start looking for things like sensors and wires and cables !

07azhhr 04-15-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 777132)
Somebody corrected me a while ago about the cable. I was told all HHR have electronic throttle control.

Rock Auto and one of my local dealerships would seem to concur with this. Learn something new every day. They do show the 06 ones to be different part number than the newer cars so be sure to get one with the replacement engine or one for the correct engine year and computer.

Oldblue 04-16-2015 05:18 AM

Which would be a VIN matched engine, competent parts yards will have details of which engine fits what car thru the Hollander system

07azhhr 04-16-2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 777188)
Which would be a VIN matched engine, competent parts yards will have details of which engine fits what car thru the Hollander system

Isn't a engine swap to a different size a non-vin match swap? Isn't the OP wanting to go from a 2.2 to a 2.4?

Oldblue 04-16-2015 06:40 PM

Yes but the 2.4 would not be an easy nor inexpensive swap. I mean the 2007 G6 had a V6 stuffed in it and I have had thoughts of that swap but would have to buy a whole G6 to get all that is required, and it would be the same for the 2.2 to 2.4 swap , there are pretty extensive amount of differences.

07azhhr 04-16-2015 10:35 PM

I agree completely that it is not easy nor inexpensive. This swap vs your V6 conversion are way different though and are apples and oranges.

This 2.2 to 2.4 swap would be one of the two least extensive swaps that can be done on our non SS cars IMHO.

The following is just some of the things I see that would be different between the two types of swaps.

The 4cyl engines are both offered in this car and share a lot of support equipment like the ac system and the cooling system. The fuel line and air intakes are in the same locations and are the same between the two. They use the same transmissions and motor/tranny mount. So the harness, computer(s), exhaust(?) and complete engine are different and needed.

The V6 was not offered in our cars. There would probably be a lot of fabricating that would be needed or sourcing parts along with trial and error. You would have to figure out the mounts. Is the tranny the same? Fuel line from firewall to eng? Air intake routing? Radiator same or swapped and the hoses? What about the AC lines? Will our fuel pump be sufficient for the V6? etc etc

:smile:

Oldblue 04-17-2015 05:17 AM

Right and the 2.2 to 2.4 would just be the wiring and sensors and computers , so easy peasy!

07azhhr 04-17-2015 08:03 AM

Did you miss the first line in my post? I agreed with you that it is not easy.

Oldblue 04-17-2015 08:21 AM

Yes but I meant it would be way easier than the V6 swap!
We are on the same plane, you get the window seat! lol

07azhhr 04-17-2015 03:47 PM

Cool I like the window seat :D

OP here is a thread you should check out. The OP on that thread did the swap in his 08 Cobalt. For his year car he was able to just add in 3 connecters to his original harness. Then he added the 7 wires from those connecter to his ECM. He only had to reflash the ECM to that of a 2.4 cars vin at that point and he was up and running.

Doing a 2.2 to 2.4 swap. Need help. - Cobalt SS Network

Your car, being an 06, will still need a tiny bit more to complete the conversion. For instance your coil is a single bar across the top of the head while the 2.4 and all following year 2.2's used individual coil on plugs. So there would be extra changes to the harness for that. Due to this there might even be different ECM part numbers between the 2 engines for the 06 models.

But if you get an 06 2.4 with it's harness and ECM it could end up as just a plug and play setup. Best thing I can recommend now is to start looking at ECM compatability.

donbrew 04-17-2015 05:30 PM

I seem to remember hearing that the exhaust pipes are different sizes. Don't know though.

I suppose that if I cared enough I could check part numbers between the models.

KCCO 04-19-2015 12:28 AM

I will do some more research and see if I can find a donor 06 2.4 that got rear ended or side swiped for a decent price. I checked out the thread link for the cobalt and it is very helpful in this possible engine Swap. so now its just looking to see if I can get a good deal on a donor car if i can't then it probably won't be worth the swap but I'm not going to give up that easy. Thank you all for the help with this and if it works out I will document how I did it on the forum

nrvous1 04-21-2015 09:58 PM

Take a read over at the cobalt ss forums. It has been done on a cobalt that was originally a 2.2. The main differences are the wiring harnesses. But, I think the owner modified the stock harness and all that was needed was to add a few prongs on certain areas of the harness plugs. Since the owner was inclined and knew what he was doing, he made it sound a lot easier then I'm imagining it would be. Still should be do-able though. From reading his post, everything physically is the exact same as a 2.2. The blocks and mounting positions of all the accessories including the transmission are identical between the 2.2 and 2.4's if I remember reading correctly.

Edit: I see the link for the swap has already been posted.

KCCO 04-27-2015 09:01 PM

Well after a bunch of research of cross referencing part numbers and reading I have finally figured out that this engine swap is a 100% possible. All that is needed for the swap is a 2.4 motor, engine wiring harness, and computer. So I for sure plan on doing this swap and when I do I will post it on the forum.

Oldblue 04-28-2015 06:17 AM

Don't forget to change the exhaust the 2.2 is 1 3/4 inch pipe the 2.4 is 2 1/2 inch

KCCO 04-28-2015 11:41 PM

Will do thank you

donbrew 04-29-2015 07:26 AM

You do know about VIN and computers, in case you ever want to sell the car.

I'm not sure about the BCM and SDM (restraint system). But pretty sure that all 3 need to be registered with each other.

Probably the same ECM & TCM, but different programing.

Doc brown 05-01-2015 02:15 PM

I have a question. Are you doing this because you have a bad engine and can get a 2.4 for a good price, or are you looking for a performance gain? If it's the later, I think it's a lot of work for only a little gain. I have driven both and while the 2.4 with 92 octane is a better overall performer than the 2.2, it isn't all that a dramatic difference.

KCCO 05-01-2015 07:39 PM

i have a bad engine and also can get a good deal on a 2.4 when i do the swap i planned on rebuilding it and doing some performance upgrades to the motor before i put it in such as valve springs cams, injectors and a assortment of other things not trying to turn it in to a drag car but still would like to have some more power and i figured why not since i get good deals on parts and stuff. i do realize most people would find it cheaper to rebuild the 2.2 instead of doing the swap and yes they are right it would be cheaper but wheres the fun in that lol. plus at as good of a deal i can get on motors at any point in time i could put the 2.2 back in it and for sure sell the 2.4 for more then i paid for it.

Oldblue 05-01-2015 07:57 PM

Ah the hot rodding virus has got you !!!

KCCO 05-02-2015 01:37 AM

Lol well yes it has. But I am determined to make it happen.

firemangeorge 05-02-2015 05:59 AM

You're going to need a good tuner to work with while you get ready for this swap.
Just getting it running with the 2.2/2.4 change is going to be a challenge. Now that you're planning some engine mods, that will require an additional new tune also.