Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   AirAid Intake (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/airaid-intake-2435/)

cj krause 06-08-2006 08:51 AM

AirAid Intake

the AirAid intake tore the 2 grommets from the OEM air box

on the 2 grommets in the back that hold the AirAid down, you use the standard grommets from the OEM air box. well i have noticed it kept popping up and now i noticed it tore the 2 rubber grommets. I

thought they were just coming loose but it actually tore them. so the design there is weak and sharp or not the right size.

i am going to email AirAid today about it

Tokyo 06-08-2006 08:55 AM

Odd... I pulled mine yesterday and noticed no problems. Nor did it ever pop up. I'm most interested about what Airaid has to say about this, and I hope you get it cleared up. Let us know, Charlie! :D

HHR PNOY 06-08-2006 09:59 AM

yes, please post their reply. I just checked my setup after reading your post and everything looks in place.

ng8650 06-08-2006 10:34 PM

Just checked mine and they are fine. One thing I did notice was that the stock air hose that goes to the Airaid box was somewhat collapsed (oval shaped instead of round) near the fender. I switched it out with a universal aftermarket hose I bought at Pep Boys Ricer section. I'll let you know if it makes a difference after I drive it on the weekend.

BTW...If you have your hood open, check the stock air hose near the fender. Mine was oval instead of a true round shape. I'm curious if the length of the stock air hose is too long for the Airaid...

Ng

hvrod 06-09-2006 08:11 AM

no torn gromments noticed..
I used nascar/race car silicone tube reinforce.. no collapse...

joesblackhhr 06-09-2006 08:30 AM

no torn grommets here either CJ

cj krause 06-09-2006 08:44 AM

no reply as of yet

cj krause 06-09-2006 10:42 AM

ok
got a call from AirAid just now from the guy that actually designed it
guys name is Sam.

got his email and direct phone #
they are overnighting a hardware kit w saturday delivery. My kit was 1 missing a bolt that held on the MAF tube and i emailed them and the guy at AirRaid named Bill told me to get in touch w AutoAnything and get the part.

i called them and they didnt have parts so i was going to have to go to a hardware store, remove the tube off the box and go find a bolt and lock washer that fit it. kind of ticked me off

what Sam told me was is the tabs have to be on back and under the box so the box looks smooth on the inside looking at it from above. i had them on back but not under on the bottom. he also told me it is just supposed to barely touch the hood. mine has a definite imprint.

so i will fix that, finally get my MAF sections bolted down right which i now found out lost the 2nd one since 2 days ago when i last checked it.

had pretty much decided to sell this one till this phone call
will see what happens

hvrod 06-09-2006 11:11 AM

<<<< hmmmm always use some type of mechanical locking device if possible.. Blue color loctite or lock washer or self locking nut where the applications allow it..

joesblackhhr 06-09-2006 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=cj krause]ok
got a call from AirAid just now from the guy that actually designed it
guys name is Sam.

got his email and direct phone #
they are overnighting a hardware kit w saturday delivery.

Pretty good customer service I would say.

CJ, I had my box assembled the same way first, I have to say the directions were not that clear and the illustrations not very sharp, I re-assembled mine but I still have a small "crack" at the bottom, not a complete seal. I am emailing and in conversation with them about the indentation thing , will keep you posted on it.