Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   EGR Valve (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/egr-valve-62835/)

planetrj 02-22-2020 06:28 PM

EGR Valve

One of the first things I like to replace under the hood of a new car I get besides Air Filter and Upper/Lower Radiator Hose/Thermo, is the PCV and EGR Valve, just because they both should've been replaced by 100k, and is one of the things that's seldom part of standard maintenance at chain repair shops. I'm curious to know if there's a simple diagram for where EGR located on the 2.2, as I have only found the location of the 2.0.. I was going to replace the MAP as well, but apparently it doesn't have one. I ordered a Chilton two weeks ago, but it's coming on a slow boat from Mars, apparently.

Thanks!

RJ_RS_SS_350 02-22-2020 06:39 PM

The 2.2(and 2.4) does not have a PCV or EGR valve. It does have a MAP sensor, however.

The 2.0 also does not have an EGR valve.

planetrj 02-23-2020 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 886400)
The 2.2(and 2.4) does not have a PCV or EGR valve. It does have a MAP sensor, however.

The 2.0 also does not have an EGR valve.

ahhh... ok maybe the guy at the parts counter was getting his acronyms mixed up while showing me on the screen, along with me speaking about getting parts for both cars. You’re right and I did order a MAP Sensor for both of my cars, since they were inexpensive.
Thanks for that!

Oldblue 02-23-2020 07:57 AM

The MAP sensor is mounted on the intake manifold

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...3affa1aac.jpeg

It really does (not) require replacement, the MAF sensor on the other hand does require cleaning once in awhile, use Sensor Safe MAF cleaner spray

Cat Man HHR 02-23-2020 08:52 AM

Why does a MAP sensor require replacement ?
Never heard of that before. Yes when it fails replace it.
It only measures manifold air pressure (MAP) which is a positive or negative value.

donbrew 02-23-2020 11:55 AM

The 2.2/2.4 has a PCV tube and the "not exactly" valve is integral to the cam cover. Wasting everything with preemptive replacement of proven technology, These are 21st century cars electronics have advanced.

planetrj 02-24-2020 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 886432)
The 2.2/2.4 has a PCV tube and the "not exactly" valve is integral to the cam cover. Wasting everything with preemptive replacement of proven technology, These are 21st century cars electronics have advanced.

this is all good knowledge. I understand that electronics have advanced, but these 3 are where the most money is made at a dealership/repair shop, but are the least expensive of the components to replace....(for example) I’ve been quoted at $180-200 when a PCV valve goes out, and they usually cost $6-8. When my Mustang hit 150k, I replaced those 3, costing about $18, and the car even ran smoother.. I also purchased a 10 year old car, and have no idea what kind of driving habits the previous owner had. It’s a good Tiny investment considering I plan on having this one around for many many years.

donbrew 02-24-2020 09:08 AM

If a PCV valve malfunctions you got much worse internal problems to worry about. They are a simple check valve with clearances measured in mm, if enough muck gets into them to foul you need a new motor. The HHR has a venturi/meter instead of a valve.

Ford has a long history of installing crappy electronics, I suspect they may have secretly partnered with Lucas for their expertise.:corny:

How much wear can a coil of wire encased in epoxe get? It's your money to waste.

If I was looking for pre emptive replacements it would be VVT valves, LCAs, struts, shocks, hubs, timing chain & guides known weak points.

Oldblue 02-24-2020 10:45 AM

My theory with my 2011 is be ready for parts to fail, I knew the gas line was suspect when I bought the HHR, and the timing chain , I just heard that rattle and took off the valve cover to inspect it. Confirming it was stretched, that was after the P0014 code. Preemptive parts replacement is much better then broken parts damaged other parts replacing.
There is a fine line between replacing worn parts and replacing parts that aren’t worn out yet.

planetrj 02-25-2020 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 886507)
If a PCV valve malfunctions you got much worse internal problems to worry about. They are a simple check valve with clearances measured in mm, if enough muck gets into them to foul you need a new motor. The HHR has a venturi/meter instead of a valve.

Ford has a long history of installing crappy electronics, I suspect they may have secretly partnered with Lucas for their expertise.:corny:

How much wear can a coil of wire encased in epoxe get? It's your money to waste.

If I was looking for pre emptive replacements it would be VVT valves, LCAs, struts, shocks, hubs, timing chain & guides known weak points.

Agree with you there regarding Ford! I'm only trying to do what I can atm, since I don't have tons of resources to do all the things that are high dollar. I was only speaking about 20 bucks. I bet there are some inherent areas which need paid attention to. Right now, I'm just looking at the nickel and dime things, because it desperately needs tires and wheels. Struts and Shocks are a weak point? I am pretty sure that the LCA & Bushings need replaced, so those are pretty much next on the table. I'm driving it gingerly for now, trust me. Not even going over 45mph, but then again, on the island, our top speed limit is 55. ;)