Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   G Force Performance Chip for 2.2 L (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/g-force-performance-chip-2-2-l-51831/)

gerrygroe 09-25-2014 03:12 PM

G Force Performance Chip for 2.2 L

I have a 2008 LS 2.2l 5 speed and would like to improve acceleration. Does anyone have actual experience with the G Force Performance Chip?

Thanks

Snoopy 09-25-2014 03:25 PM

Sigh......

Been discussed and beaten to death. Use the SEARCH bar at the top middle of the page for never ending info.

A brief recap of all.....save your money, there are better ways.

Frenchy42 09-26-2014 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of power in these things if you keep it N/A. You could go cammed like this guy:

Even with all the stuff he's done though, he's only making about 185whp, up from around 125whp, so only about a 60whp increase.

08LaRam 09-30-2014 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by gerrygroe (Post 759708)
I have a 2008 LS 2.2l 5 speed and would like to improve acceleration. Does anyone have actual experience with the G Force Performance Chip?

Thanks

As Snoopy said...save your money. However, if you want to save money and still try it you can make your own "chip". What this G Force chip does is fools the computer into thinking the air coming into the intake is colder than it is. This is done with a 4.7 ohm resister in line with the AIT sensor for a 10-12 degree drop in air temp reading by computer. You can get a 20 degree drop by using a 5.4 ohm resister. The temp drops are approximate. I have never done this on an HHR but have on other vehicles. There are all sorts of 'how to's' on this. On Google just type in "home made 'power wire' on Dodge truck". There's at least a half dozen videos on youtube and write ups.

LawDog88 09-30-2014 07:19 AM

You could also get a Tune from cj krause!

08LaRam 09-30-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88 (Post 760149)
You could also get a Tune from cj krause!

A tune is truly the best way to go. The G-chip is not very good. In fact, if you do get a tune don't use a G-chip as the tune advances your timing and the G-chip could cause too much advance possibly causing pre-ignition and engine damage.

Snoopy 09-30-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam (Post 760148)
As Snoopy said...save your money. However, if you want to save money and still try it you can make your own "chip". What this G Force chip does is fools the computer into thinking the air coming into the intake is colder than it is. This is done with a 4.7 ohm resister in line with the AIT sensor for a 10-12 degree drop in air temp reading by computer. You can get a 20 degree drop by using a 5.4 ohm resister. The temp drops are approximate. I have never done this on an HHR but have on other vehicles. There are all sorts of 'how to's' on this. On Google just type in "home made 'power wire' on Dodge truck". There's at least a half dozen videos on youtube and write ups.

Interesting post !!! I'm guessing you have tried this because of your comments. So, a couple questions......

Did you actually have the 10-12 degree drop with the 4.7 ohm resistor and/or the 20 degree drop with the 5.4 ohm resistor? Then using the generally accepted engineering principal of 1 HP for every 10 degrees, you were only able to recognize 1 or 2 HP........correct?

08LaRam 10-01-2014 06:31 AM

To tell you the truth I hardly noticed any difference at all. Perhaps like a cool morning when your engine feels like it has a slightly more pep. I only ran it a few days as I had to go to the dealer for some service and I was concerned it might void my warranty if they saw it. When I was through with the dealer I never bothered to put it back on the truck.. I never actually tried the 5.4ohm but went by information others had posted and because all their posts were approximately the same results I just accepted it as good information.

Snoopy 10-01-2014 04:10 PM

Thanks for your answer !!

And your answer appears to be in line with the rest of the info. I doubt if anyone would feel a 1 or 2 HP gain, so yeah I can understand your doubt.

But your total info I did find interesting. It provides the truth in advertising to prevent any liability. You know, the old...."......up to 30 HP gains.....". Many aftermarket parts providers use that terminology because potential buyers focus on the number value ONLY, thus increasing sales.

Alas, many here have believed it.:D

08LaRam 10-01-2014 05:56 PM

Word...