2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Hhr wont start....low ding sound

Old 12-09-2014, 01:51 AM

Unhappy Hhr wont start....low ding sound

Changed my timing chain and decided to change the transmission to body mount as well as the starter. The car had been sitting for 3 months. Went to start and the battery was dead. Took the battery to autozone to be recharged. When I picked the battery, the kid said it would only charge to 60% but should be enough to start the car. When I hooked the battery, the "Ding" bell noise that normally comes on if the key is left in the ignition and door is open was very faint, could barely hear it. I thought it was due to the low battery so I tried to jump the car but it wont start. So i went to check the starter connection and the red wire on the solenoid was touching the little black wire on the adjacent stud and was smoking a little. So i fixed the wires where I have the wires not touching each other, but the car wont start with the same results (Low interior Ding Ding bell). I turned on the headlights and only the driver side headlight is coming on and sometimes no headlight would come on.

When I tried to start it, there is a very low click sound coming from somewhere in the engine bay

All the dash lights are coming on and acting normal. Radio is working fine and no check engine light or low battery light. I dont know if in HHRs you can hear the fuel pump prime, because I couldn't hear it with the key on ON.

I dont know if during the changing of the tranny to body mount I messed up the fuse box because I had to move the fuse box around to access the mount bolts.

Tomorrow I am gonna buy a new battery and starter and hopefully it was a short starter.

Anything else you guys think I should try to fix the problem?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 AM

I would start with a new battery and check the battery connections at the under hood fuse box.

I have seen a lot of no starts because of the battery connections.

One other thing. You stated that a wire by the starter was smoking.

There is a fuse link there you my have burned a fuse link during the jump start.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucky
I would start with a new battery and check the battery connections at the under hood fuse box.

I have seen a lot of no starts because of the battery connections.

One other thing. You stated that a wire by the starter was smoking.

There is a fuse link there you my have burned a fuse link during the jump start.
x2 from the sounds
Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Technical Moderator

We assume you hooked the jump cables up correctly?

The guy lied, 60% charge is not enough to start the car, that's somewhere around 8 volts.
80% isn't enough.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

"the kid said it would only charge to 60% but should be enough to start the car."

One more reason to not believe anything the parts store "kids" say.
Not even sure what he's trying to imply by saying 60%.

Todays modern cars and their electronics systems need a fully charged battery to operate correctly. Any low voltage will bring out the gremlins and can cause your car to do some weird things electronically speaking.

Fix the wiring problems, stick in a good battery and give it a try.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Let us know!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 AM

I am getting a new battery today and I will give it a shot.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM

Quick question, where does the ground wire on the radiator bar support go to?

Currently I have it bolted to a stud in front of the transmission with engine harness ground.

thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 AM
Administrator

That's correct.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Put a new battery in and still it wont start. I can here the starter (maybe) clicking when I turn the key on start but it wont even turn.

The warning chime is giving low tone chiming sound when key is in ignition and door open.
The passenger side headlight is not working.

Now I am going to install a new starter and hopefully that helps.

Also quick question. Is there anything thing in the under fuse box that I can check that maybe causing this issue?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hhr wont start....low ding sound