2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Need for acceleration for highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Need for acceleration for highway

I have 2008 LS automatic. Mainly I am looking for more power past 65mph. Would it be best just to get the SC kit from ZZP or piece together a turbo kit myself?

Would I be needing a tranny coolant cooler?
With professional tune how much PSI can I push on stock engine with turbo?

I wish I was able to get the 5spd tranny but wife can't drive stick
Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Deceased

Before you start thinking about the Supercharger or Turbo options, give this thread a read on the Trifecta Tune, it really can wake up an HHR and surprise you with the potential locked away in the Ecotec engine.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=trifecta+tune
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Hummm,… on our trip to Tennessee last October I was letting the HHR lope along on cruise at the better part of 85 mph for long stretches of highway.

I’m always a little shocked that no matter how fast I happen to be cruising someone will inevitably pass me.

Anyway when I needed a tad more to pass someone a bit faster than I was already, it was there for me.

I’ve never really tried to bury the speedometer needle on this buggy. I guess that is one of the things from my past that has lost my interest, maybe. However on some of those long down hills in the Great Smokey Mountains I did see over 100 mph on the dial a few times.

This is something that can only be done when the wife is sleeping.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM

I read that topic but think I'd still want some forced induction with a tune. Living here in Ohio is pretty cheap and I alone get 3,037 dollars a months from the VA. So I figure a little boost won't break me.

It is really tempting to buy a 350Z for quick driving fun; however, I love this HHR.

My only three real concerns is being able to keep the engine, tranny stock hardware wise, and will the HHR's PCM try to "reject AFR changes".

I never put a turbo on an auto before. Have had one on my 2003 eclipse GS 5spd. That car was a pain to turbo. ECM had to be tricked into thinking the AFR was still stock.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

get an SS HHR then
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
get an SS HHR then
Very productive post...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

I actually agree with the Officer on this one.Reading the other posts and seeing what you are looking for(more uummphh),it would seem an SS HHR would be the way to go.
Sure you could turbo or supercharge your present car but it would be alot of work. Just ask some of the other members here that have done it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Deceased

I'll have to throw my 2 cents in with the honorable Fireman, by the time you get done with modding up a "normal" HHR to SS performance levels, you would probably be better off finding an SS.

But its a free country and its your HHR, so whatever way you decide to soup it up is your call, just keep us in the loop and post up some pics of the work in progress.

It sounds like you have some expertise in adding a turbo kit to a vehicle, so what for us might sound a bit extreme, could very well be no big deal for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Really wouldn't consider it work. Kind of a hobby to me. Most might find this a waste of money but even on my 03 eclipse i installed a standalone just for 8psi.

IMO 8 pounds of boost isnt worth selling my hhr for the SS version. Id rather have that fun installing it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM

In the mid ‘70’s I bought a ‘66 Pontiac Lemans. It had a 326 cui V8 in it.

Mine was as stock as if it had just rolled off the assembly line, just old.

Everyone I knew who had a Lemans were doing their best to make them into GTO clones and had taken all the anti pollution stuff off their engines.

One of the things that came stock on my car was a little mini blower. It did give the engine just a little boost I don’t have a clue how many pounds it produced but when I redid the engine I left it off for a while.

I really noticed the loss in the MPG department with it off so I cleaned it up and put it back on.

The only real reason I took it off was so I could use my shiny chrome after market air cleaner. I stripped and repainted the original air cleaner so I could use the mini blower again.

Eventually I went to a car show with a parts swap area and found a stock air cleaner that had been triple chrome plated and bought that to put some bling under the hood.

I’ve never quite seen the wisdom in using hot exhaust gas to turn a fan to pressurize your intake air stream.

Cold fuel combusts with more power than hot,…

Quick Reply: Need for acceleration for highway