Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   For the newbie here. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/newbie-here-32325/)

LawDog88 10-24-2010 11:13 PM

Performance Mods talk.

I know I may have a lot of posts under my belt, but I am still new to my HHR.
Since I have no idea what to look for for quality parts, I was hoping someone could help me figure out brands and prices for performance mods to my 2008 Shadow Edition..

I am looking to get a Cold Air intake, Larger injectors, Performance Spark Plugs and MAYBE a nos kit if I feel so warranted to do so.

Any help here guys?

-Officer1151

Talvanos 11-04-2010 05:04 PM

There are many old Air intakes out there, CGS and K&N just to name a few. I will be buying a GMPP one soon. My reason for choosing this one is the simple fact that it doesnt require oil for the filter which i have "heard" can mess with your MAS.

Larger injectors I would look at a 2.4 intake.

Spark plugs I have no idea about.

NOS kit, well I have never installed/used one on a fuel injected motor. My ONLY dealings with NOS kits are FOGGER ssytems that I used on my drag cars.

I am also under the impression that the best bang for your buck is a Trifecta Tune, but I would do this AFTER you have done all your other mods. Contact Tom on the forum for more info.

Wish I could have been more help.

solman98 11-05-2010 05:59 AM

What's your goal here? The stock intake on the HHR is extremely good, your not going to see much, if any of an improvement. But stick with the GMPP, K&N type if you must have one. They shield the filter from heat at least.

Your injectors should be plenty unless you are planning on some sore of forced injection in the future.

You already have iridum plugs, you could swap to a solid copper plug, but I really don't see what it would gain you. There really arn't any "performance" plugs.

NOS, your on your own there.....:propeller:

hatetoorun 11-05-2010 11:10 AM

I didn't realize you had a Shadow when I've seen your other posts, there isn't to many of us on here. I would say the Trifecta tune or PCM4less. When I get back from Iraq I am going to get a tune right away. I used PCM4less on my Chevy Colorado and it was the difference between night and day. When you get the tune, ask for the transmission to shift hard, this really helps with acceleration.

LawDog88 11-05-2010 11:44 AM

Really now? Are you handing out the tunes btw? :P

Greybeard999 11-05-2010 11:57 AM

A tune is the best bang for the buck, it should be done after other mods so they can be taken into account in tailoring the tune. Here's the thing, stock..... already have a CAI and some really good plugs, Even the exhaust works rather well as far a flow goes, larger injectors wouldn't do much if anything without a turbo/supercharger. So, unless you needed to change something for looks or more noise, the factory stock 2.4L is just asking for the tune. (I will be going with a Trifecta tune)

hatetoorun 11-05-2010 12:00 PM

:roflol:...I wish I could. I'm not really sure if a CAI makes much of a difference as far as performance but it does have a nice sound and makes the filter easier to change or clean. A tune though is a proven performance gain. It wont be like boosting but it will really pep up your power.

solman98 11-05-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by hatetoorun (Post 502890)
I didn't realize you had a Shadow when I've seen your other posts, there isn't to many of us on here. I would say the Trifecta tune or PCM4less. When I get back from Iraq I am going to get a tune right away. I used PCM4less on my Chevy Colorado and it was the difference between night and day. When you get the tune, ask for the transmission to shift hard, this really helps with acceleration.

Hummm, you do tunes? When you get back I may had to drive the 4 miles to Hiram and see what you could do.....:roflol:

HiJack over.....:D

hatetoorun 11-05-2010 12:26 PM

I must have made somthing sound weird I guess.:gnonespet: I do not do tunes, I have gotten a tune before from PCM4less. I am not sure if they are a vendor on this site or not but they are good folks to deal with. They send you a loaner PCM while your PCM is getting tuned. Then when your PCM is back your send them the loaner. You dont have to get anything reset or unlocked at the dealership, just plug in and enjoy.

LawDog88 11-05-2010 12:29 PM

What's the cost?