2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:31 PM

oil in coolant

Hello forum members. I have a slight concern and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issues and could give me some tips. I do plan on taking it into my local dealership later this week just wondering if there is any advise out there.

I have a 2007 chevy hhr 2.2L. A few months ago I had to have exhaust valves replaced (2 bent valves) and we also replaced the timing chain, tensioner and guides due to the infamous chatter on first start up. I had a local mechanic do the work for me. We did replace the head gasket also. Since then there has been some oil in my coolant. Vehicle has been running fine and no overheating. We completely drained and flushed coolant system and replaced it with brand new coolant. When we drained the radiator there were only small traces of oil in the radiator and there is no coolant in the oil. I do have 2 codes. One is P0449 evap purge and the other one is for catalyst bank 1. Any thoughts on what I could be looking at? Oh and I have no external leaks of oil or coolant. No white smoke from tailpipe and I am not using oil or coolant. I am wondering if when the mechanic did the engine work if he didn't get oil into the coolant that is in the block because he did say he did reuse a small amount of coolant when he refilled it but again we completely drained, flushed and refilled a week go with all brand new coolant. It's not that the coolant is milky but you can see that there is some oil in the coolant

Last edited by seren89; 02-01-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Just a wild guess here. When the head was pulled, some of the residual oil found it's way into the coolant passages on the block. Most likely only an ounce or two.
I would suggest another coolant system flush and refill, then just keep a check on it.
If oil returns to the clean coolant, then it's either a bad head gasket or a possible block crack.

One think I can't decipher. You said :"We didn't find any oil in the radiator"
So. Exactly where are you seeing oil in the coolant ?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Just a wild guess here. When the head was pulled, some of the residual oil found it's way into the coolant passages on the block. Most likely only an ounce or two.
I would suggest another coolant system flush and refill, then just keep a check on it.
If oil returns to the clean coolant, then it's either a bad head gasket or a possible block crack.

One think I can't decipher. You said :"We didn't find any oil in the radiator"
So. Exactly where are you seeing oil in the coolant ?
When you take the radiator cap off you can see oil residue and oil sheen in the coolant. The coolant isn't milky like it would be with a bad gasket. When we drained the coolant there were only small traces of oil in the coolant not a lot.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Most likely just a little bit of oil that fell into the coolant passages when the head was removed.
Since oil is lighter than coolant, it will find it's way to the highest point. Ex. the radiator cap, or that sheen you see on the coolant in the radiator.
Like I stated, I would flush it again. I have done head or gasket jobs before where I had to reflush them.

Fwiw. If you're bothered with the cost of new coolant, you could probably reuse what's in there. Just drain it in a bucket, let it sit a while, then skim any oil off the top.

Yeah I know. All of you that are going to respond "Don't reuse that coolant !! "
I'm ready for any negative feedback.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 AM

P0449, the eval, code has nothing to do with a failed head gasket and oil in the coolant.

You didn't say which cat code you have set, but if it's a cat efficiency code, that, also, is unlikely to be related to oil in the coolant.

I'd clear codes and road test. If those codes come back, I'd get ahold of a Factory Service manual and follow the diagnostic/repair procedures for those two codes.