2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Supercharger kit from ZZP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Supercharger kit from ZZP

I am looking for the easiest way to improve performance and don't really want a turbo because of the higher risk of trashing the engine.
I see plenty of references around here for ZZP being a respected vendor.

Has anyone installed their bolt-on supercharger kit?
Ecotec Parts 2.2/2.4L Bolt on Supercharger Kit

Anybody have any real-world feedback on this (or a SC from another mfr.?)

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 PM

There are a couple of users who supercharged, a recent guy on YouTube who finally got his working. Be prepared for a BUILD; You will need to tune the car as well. I considered doing it myself, but Any added parts are potential failure points, and tuning can put extra strain on the engine/transmission, etc. Just my position on it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 PM
RF2

I have installed a supercharger. The install is quite easy. The electric rewire to make all the sensors talk to the computer takes some skill. Then if you can get some one to program the computer correct it will work. When you get the car running then you have to tune it for timing and fuel ratios to boost. There was a person that had the reprogram down and knew how to hook all the sensors up so they would work. He worked for Trifecta. Sadly he is gone.
Use the search to find info on this. You might try the cobalt web. The 2007 SS cobalt was supercharged. Get all your parts. Line up your programer.
Good luck.
FYI,My 2.2 now has 224K on it and I run 16LBS of boost with water methanol injection.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
I am looking for the easiest way to improve performance and don't really want a turbo because of the higher risk of trashing the engine.
I see plenty of references around here for ZZP being a respected vendor.

Has anyone installed their bolt-on supercharger kit?
Ecotec Parts 2.2/2.4L Bolt on Supercharger Kit

Anybody have any real-world feedback on this (or a SC from another mfr.?)

Thanks!
A supercharger will probably give more boost than a turbo...thus even a greater chance of "trashing the engine" plus the supercharger uses engine power to operate, a turbo uses exhaust gas pressure, which is "free" power.
IMHO doing either is pointless on a street driven car...especially an anemic 4-cylinder. No matter what you do that that little 4 popper, it will never give both performance and drivability/good fuel mileage.
If you want to go/accelerate fast, I suggest buying a used Corvette or similar, and keeping the HHR for other tasks.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
A supercharger will probably give more boost than a turbo...thus even a greater chance of "trashing the engine" plus the supercharger uses engine power to operate, a turbo uses exhaust gas pressure, which is "free" power.
IMHO doing either is pointless on a street driven car...especially an anemic 4-cylinder. No matter what you do that that little 4 popper, it will never give both performance and drivability/good fuel mileage.
If you want to go/accelerate fast, I suggest buying a used Corvette or similar, and keeping the HHR for other tasks.
???
"A supercharger will probably give more boost than a turbo." Say what ?
Also. My SS averages about 27 miles to the gallon. 31 on the highway. Plus, I've got 290 hp available in my grocery getter if I want it.
Nothing anemic about some of today's 4 cyl, turbo or super charged engines.
Oh, and mine handles pretty good also.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM

OK, you guys have convinced me. Too much hassle, regardless.
ZZP makes it seem like it is so easy "bolt-on" and all that.

I will just focus on handling and appearance then.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
Actually, I already have a modded Mustang GT/California Special that is my real "go fast" car.
Won't be buying another 'Vette, that is for sure. Both that I had were more pain than pleasure.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
OK, you guys have convinced me. Too much hassle, regardless.
ZZP makes it seem like it is so easy "bolt-on" and all that.

I will just focus on handling and appearance then.
I think you'll be happier that way...

For what it's worth I have spent/will shortly be spending about 2 grand on appearance mods over the winter...car will be done mid-March and of course there will be pictures.

I have also been doing a TON of research on performance options for the HHR...it seems it really is no different than back in my day, start with exhaust and intake. If I ever get the time, I'm going to write something up and post on here, but I've been trying to do that for two months now....
Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
???
"A supercharger will probably give more boost than a turbo." Say what ?
Also. My SS averages about 27 miles to the gallon. 31 on the highway. Plus, I've got 290 hp available in my grocery getter if I want it.
Nothing anemic about some of today's 4 cyl, turbo or super charged engines.
Oh, and mine handles pretty good also.
I agree that todays 4 poppers are far quicker than they were back in the day...but to make speed you need power, and to get power you need cubic inches....something the 4-cylinders just don't have much of.
Supercharges will pack far more air into the cylinders than a turbo, thats why a super charger is driven by engine power, I forget now how much power to operate a typical street/strip set up but I think we used to figure about 50HP average...of course that figure would be much higher for a all out race engine with tighter clearences. Turbos run for free, the exhaust gas spins them but they can not provide the compression that the Superchargers do which is why race cars don't use turbos.
Our HHR's are as heavy (or heavier) than the 55/56/57 Chevys I used to run, heavier than most of the 60's or 70's era muscle cars and those cars were producing well over 400 HP in street trim and had gobs more torque, which is what you feel in the seat of your pants. My Vette (with a TPI 350) was a 165 MPH car...I had it briefly up that fast on Alligator Ally some years ago...it got 22 to 24 MPG on the highway if I didn't run the AC and was stock except tor the intake and exhaust and a re-program on the PROM.
While I love my HHR panel, I just will never think of it as even remotely fast or quick.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

HHR's are " heavier than most of the 60's or 70's era muscle cars "

??? Chevelles, 442's, etc. I don't think so. Fwiw. I've owned a 70 Chevelle and numerous 69-72 Cutlass' and 442's. The last project I had was a 72 Cutlass S
(not a 442) with the Hurst pkg. A rare car because of the Hurst pkg being in a non 442.

Quick Reply: Supercharger kit from ZZP