Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   Timing Chain Tensioner (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/timing-chain-tensioner-61032/)

dano01 11-05-2018 08:26 AM

Timing Chain Tensioner

Hi Everybody
I have a 2011 HHR with the 2.2 motor and I think I have to replace the chain tensioner. If I use the vehicle everyday, I hear no noise when starting the car. If the car sits for a couple days, I hear a noise coming from the engine that lasts for 2 to 3 seconds. I've been reading up on which one to purchase and how to install. My question is, do you really have to remove the valve cover to extend the plunge. Some say the plunger extends when you start the car. Some say you have to extend plunger before starting the car. Which one is true? Does anyone know how the replacement is explained in the GM Service Manual? I have no GM Manual for the car.
Thanks for any help
Dano

Oldblue 11-05-2018 08:43 AM

Welcome to the site, I’ve replaced the tensioner then removed the valve cover to make sure the plunger extended, for me, it did.
Then I figured out it was the front timing chain guide was broken, so I suggest, be safe replace the chains , tensioners and guides.
I prefer the Cloyes brand

solman98 11-05-2018 08:43 AM

If you purchased the same one I did for my 06 2.2, it's automatic and will set itself.

Just got the same one in for my daughters 06 Cobalt, will install it soon. Price on those has dropped over the years.

donbrew 11-05-2018 08:57 AM

All 2011 have the "updated" part. What is going on is that the adjuster can't adjust the chain any farther. A new adjuster is not the real fix, you might be lucky but don't count on it.

dano01 11-05-2018 11:27 AM

I do have the updated adjuster, was thinking it failed or worn out. Sounds like i need to replace more then the adjuster. Is it a hard job to replace chain ,gears and guides?
Thanks Again

Oldblue 11-05-2018 11:33 AM

No not really, just a matter of learning, some tools, a Jack and a jack stand, rags or paper towels

heres the education part!

rgatijnet 03-09-2019 02:51 PM

I just went through the same exercise with my 2009 2.2L VVT HHR. I got the same noise for the first few seconds and replaced the original tensioner, which was of the new design. Since I only have 51,000 miles, I wrongly figured that there is no way that the timing chain/guides could be worn this soon. I pulled the valve cover, replaced the tensioner, hit it to set the tension, which did not appear to be loose after tensioning. Replaced all of the gaskets and seals and buttoned things up. It did absolutely nothing for the rattling noise at cold start up. I guess that running Mobile 1 since new is not the answer for a long life with the 2.2L engine. :confused:

Oldblue 03-09-2019 06:36 PM

Or something else is rattling, could be a broken front guide , did you inspect that?

d0sitmatr 03-09-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 855264)
No not really, just a matter of learning, some tools, a Jack and a jack stand, rags or paper towels

you forgot time... a lot of time for someone doing it their first time lol
other things to consider doing at the same time
oil change
coolant flush
some have mentioned in other threads that it isnt a bad idea to replace the balance chain at the same time, considering your right there already.

rgatijnet 03-09-2019 06:52 PM

Unfortunately I was just focused on changing out the tensioner and didn't look for other issues. Is a broken front guide a common occurrence? I did notice that the chain was tight after I tapped the new tensioner.