2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM

Engine problem

Hello, I can't solve my problem alone, so im asking for some support.
I have 2008 Chevy HHR 2,4 ecotec (i think it LE5 l4 A24XE) and probably i have damaged engine block.
My car is loosing coolant. Already ive changed head gasket. I checked cooling system, there's no leak outside the car. Theres no signs of oil in coolant. Spark plugs was checked, non of those was "washed" (extra clean).
I think coolant is not mixing with oil (theres no butter under the cap and the color of oil is ok). But i think coolnat "enters" directly to the exhaust or its burned partially in engine (dunno). He must go somewhere (coolant). I dont see more options. so i consider replaceing engine block. My question is, were those engines was installed in other GM cars more available in europe? (Opel? chevy captiva?) Availability of parts for HHR in Poland is almost a miracle. I am almost powerless. I rly like my car and i want to do what i can to fix him. To be sure i give you my VIN number 3GNDA53P08S610822 (if i mess sth pls correct me). Thank you in advance for help. Sorry for bother folks.
If You have more ideas what else can be check, please let me know.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 AM
Administrator

When you replaced the head gasket, did you have the head inspected or magnafluxed looking for cracks? Did you use new head bolts?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest doing a coolant system pressure test.

How much coolant are you loosing ? Was the head gasket that you replaced bad? Or did you replace the head gasket just guessing that was the problem.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 AM
geg

It may be different reasons, including the deformation of the cylinder head due to overheating of the motor
If coolant comes into the exhaust system, you can determine this by 2 circumstantial evidence:
1. white smoke with a sweet odor;
2. Remove the spark plug - if they are pristine (as washed), so do coolant gets into the exhaust.
The more coolant in the exhaust, the more pronounced symptoms.
Conversely, if the leak is not strong - the symptoms are almost invisible. Plugs in the three cylinders can have a soot, but the fourth is clean - coolant in this cylinder.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 AM

Oldblue - Yes, head was inspected. There was no cracks on head. Ithink there was new bolts used (i cant remember for sure now) i will try to fild invoice and check.

firemangeorge - Yes, there was done preasure test, and it was OK. I lose entire reservoir in about 2 week period. Yeah head gasket was bad,
at least they said that on the site.

geg - i know how much reasons can it be i have head ache already. Since I am a owner i never noticed overheat (once or twice in summer, coolant temp was near 105 C but fan droped it quite fast). Standing at the traffic light temp is rising to 95-97 C, when i ride temp are 85-88 C.
Ad.1 Yes there is white sweet smoke when i start car in the morning,
then he stops to flow after about 5 minutes.
Ad.2 - like i wrote above, i've checked spark plugs. They are dry and looks normal (no signs of "washed one"). I assume there is no coolant in the cylinder.

Like i said i dont have many more options to take.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Technical Moderator

The answer to the question is yes. It is a Saab/Opel engine to begin with. But be careful 2008 was a transitional year for the 2.4L LE5. Many 4 cylinder GM cars use the Ecotec.

So, basically the leaking stops after the t-stat opens? Maybe the water pump? I can't think of a route to combustion, though.

The only way to the combustion chamber is the head gasket, everything else would go to the oil pan. Odorless white smoke and condensation during warmup is fairly normal from the catalytic converter.

What about the floor; is it wet. I am thinking bad heater core.

What about the plug on the t-stat housing, I have had a pin hole in one that did not drip, it just let steam out. Same thing with the pressure cap and hoses.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 AM

Thx for answer don.
To be honest i dont know where leak starts never saw it (thats the problem). He just disappear from reservoir. Like i mentioned smoke is white for 3-5 mins when i start engine and is hmmm sweet? Then smoke gone and its ok.
Floor is dry.
I will do again preasure tests, will check oil for coolant in it (changed oil week a go).
I will look for clean cylinder, spark plugs etc.
I will try again. In the end i will check head and head gaaket and when i fail i will look for another block....
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Name:  Ecotecraceengine.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  36.2 KB

I don't see it being the block

Not many place for the coolant to get into the combustion chamber unless the cylinder sleeve is cracked, which is doubtful
Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Technical Moderator

How about the reservoir leaking or the tube?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Administrator

More like the head is warped on the compression surface.

Quick Reply: Engine problem