Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Air Filter? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/air-filter-174/)

Long_Tall_Texan 10-29-2005 09:33 PM

Air Filter?

Since I don't have one yet, what type of air filter does the HHR have stock? Flat rectangular or round cylinder?

I found a close-out on K&N's locally and wanted to see if there was one there that could be easily adapted. Can't beat the $15 price if I could make it work.

captain howdy 10-29-2005 09:44 PM

I haven't taken it out yet so I'm not sure but if I had to guess I would say square. The GM part number is 22731072 if that helps.

SoCalHHR 10-30-2005 12:12 AM

K&N is currently working on a replacement kit that will increase both mileage and performance to a degree. It should be available by the end of the year if not sooner.

I'll post pictures as soon as it's done.
-Mike

flyhhr 01-20-2006 07:45 PM

it is a square filter i went to k&n site today and it is square

Clarke33 01-20-2006 08:34 PM

K&N #33-2339

My local parts guy got one for me overnight. Only bad thing is I don't have the HHR yet. I just ordered it Tuesday. Oh well, that gives me more time to buy more goodies. :hhr:

adamlowery 01-20-2006 11:15 PM

when someone gets one I'd like to know if it actually helps milage or performance noticeably.

captain howdy 01-21-2006 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by adamlowery
when someone gets one I'd like to know if it actually helps milage or performance noticeably.

I don't have one but I can answer your question. NO! It's just an air filter. :roll: It may help gas milage and add HP but nothing you'll notice. ;)

Clarke33 01-21-2006 09:50 PM

K&N display

Has anyone seen the new K&N displays in the parts houses. Pretty slick.
They have a Lexan box with a place in the top to install a filter. You turn a switch on and a fan pulls air through a Fram filter and exhausts the air out of a round Lexan tube at the rear. You then replace the Fram with a K&N filter, and when you turn it back on the increase in air flow causes a ping pong ball, that has K&N printed on it, to rise to the top of the exhaust tube. Of course with the brand X filter in place you never see the ping pong ball. It seemed like a good reason to go ahead and order my filter and renewal kit. :roll:

snksknr94 01-22-2006 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Clarke33
Has anyone seen the new K&N displays in the parts houses. Pretty slick.
They have a Lexan box with a place in the top to install a filter. You turn a switch on and a fan pulls air through a Fram filter and exhausts the air out of a round Lexan tube at the rear. You then replace the Fram with a K&N filter, and when you turn it back on the increase in air flow causes a ping pong ball, that has K&N printed on it, to rise to the top of the exhaust tube. Of course with the brand X filter in place you never see the ping pong ball. It seemed like a good reason to go ahead and order my filter and renewal kit. :roll:

Stay away from a oiled filter, unless you like cleaning the MAF all the time. Go with a high quality paper filter.

Clarke33 01-23-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by snksknr94
Stay away from a oiled filter, unless you like cleaning the MAF all the time. Go with a high quality paper filter.

That is the first time I have heard anyone state that you can have sensor problems by using an oiled filter. I have known quite a few people that have used K&N filters on other applications without any problems. Do you know this from first hand knowledge?

SoCalHHR 01-23-2006 04:08 PM

Yes. Also, the MAF is located close to the filter on the HHR, making this a very real possbility.

snksknr94 01-23-2006 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Clarke33
That is the first time I have heard anyone state that you can have sensor problems by using an oiled filter. I have known quite a few people that have used K&N filters on other applications without any problems. Do you know this from first hand knowledge?

Yes the oil on the filter makes it's way up the intake tubbing and puts a fine coat on everything including the fine wires on the MAF used to calculate air flow into the engine, plus it gets on the throttle body, etc. I ran one on my Camaro, but the MAF was easy to get to, so every oil change I cleaned it. I've seen many cars come into the dealer with oiled air filters that exhibit drivablity problems due to oil from the filter coating the MAF. Just run a high quality paper filter.

Clarke33 01-23-2006 09:28 PM

What a bummer. And I thought I was getting a jump on things by buying goodies before my HHR gets here. Oh well, c'est la vie. By the way , I talked to the dealer today. They ordered last Thursday but don't have the confirmation back yet.

yukonfff98 01-24-2006 06:02 PM

33-2339 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 1.188 in (30 mm)
Outside Length: 13.75 in (349 mm)
Outside Width: 4.813 in (122 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.91 oz (27 ml)
Weight: 0.9 lb (0.4 kg)
Product Box Length: 17.25 in (438 mm)
Product Box Width: 8.25 in (210 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.88 in (48 mm)

INFO FROM K&N FITERS

RickyO 02-07-2006 01:07 PM

The last couple of K & N filters that I have bought are none oiling type. I believe most K & N's are that way now. I changed my oil the other day at 15,000 miles and thought I'd throw in a new air filter, but the maintenance manual mentioned changing the air filter at the 50,000 ile oil change. I thought this was really interesting. I didn't really understand the directions for changing the filter to be honest and I'm not completely mechanically challenged. Is it as difficult as it sounds?

Long_Tall_Texan 02-07-2006 01:16 PM

No. It is really pretty easy.

1. Unplug the MAF sensor.
2. Loosen the clamp that connects the engine intake to the air box
3. Pull! - The airbox will pop right out of the rubber grommets
4. Loosen the clamp to the fresh air inlet to the air box.

Installation is reverse. Don't forget to re-plug in the MAF sensor. I forgot but noticed as soon as I got on the road. The service engine light was on, and it was shifting really rough.

captain howdy 02-07-2006 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RickyO
The last couple of K & N filters that I have bought are none oiling type.

N&N only makes air filters that you have to oil. Check out their site if you don't believe me http://www.knfilters.com/. There is no such think as a dry K&N filter, every single one they make is a reusable oil type. :roll:

RickyO 02-07-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Long_Tall_Texan
No. It is really pretty easy.

1. Unplug the MAF sensor.
2. Loosen the clamp that connects the engine intake to the air box
3. Pull! - The airbox will pop right out of the rubber grommets
4. Loosen the clamp to the fresh air inlet to the air box.

Installation is reverse. Don't forget to re-plug in the MAF sensor. I forgot but noticed as soon as I got on the road. The service engine light was on, and it was shifting really rough.

10-4 I wonder why the filter has such a long schedule between replacement?
Thanks, Tex

SoCalHHR 02-07-2006 01:24 PM

10-4 I wonder why the filter has such a long schedule between replacement?
Thanks, Tex

Chevy is using ALL the current replacement filter elements in the assembly line so they will have enough to continue building HHR's.
They're hoping that by the time you get 50k on your car - they'll be caught up!

Seriously, the element is pretty well shielded and has a long air duct (in passenger fenderwell), this should help extend the filter life somewhat. I live in SoCal, and filters get full of crud from ALL the cars in front of you. I make it a practice to change mine at least every 10k. :)

YMMV :thumb:

Long_Tall_Texan 02-07-2006 01:26 PM

That all depends on your actual operating environment. The default air intake setup is really pretty protected. You aren't going to get a lot of "dirty" air coming in the way it is set up. Therefore it should last a long time before it needs to be changed. However, if I still lived in West Texas it would never last 50,000 miles. The entire month of March and most of April there is just one big dustbowl. Remember the pictures of the dustbowl in the roaring 20's from Jr High History Class. It still exists in West Texas every year during that time. Soooo, everyone changes out filters around May EVERY YEAR in that climate.

RickyO 02-07-2006 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
N&N only makes air filters that you have to oil. Check out their site if you don't believe me http://www.knfilters.com/. There is no such think as a dry K&N filter, every single one they make is a reusable oil type. :roll:

I stand corrected. I bought a screaming eagle intake for my Harley. It used to be made by K&N. It is now being made by a competitor. The filter rivals K&N's performance, but does not need oiling as the K&N does. You may now pin a pork chop on your ass. :bow:

captain howdy 02-07-2006 02:29 PM

You may now pin a pork chop on your ass. :bow:

rotflmao! :beer:

NY HHR 03-07-2006 08:40 PM

I have been unable to find the K&N air filter at all in the area. Nobody carries it yet! :(

SIHHR 03-07-2006 08:55 PM

Welcome to the site NY HHR

Navyflyer11 03-08-2006 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by NY HHR
I have been unable to find the K&N air filter at all in the area. Nobody carries it yet! :(

I was in an O'rileys autoparts and they said they could order it for me said it would take 3 weeks to get though.

NY HHR 03-08-2006 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Welcome to the site NY HHR

Thanks, just found it last night while surfing! :beer:

cowboybornlate 03-08-2006 01:34 PM

I've used K&N filters on my last three vehicles and never had a problem with them. My uncle is the service manager at a Chevy dealership and the only thing he commented on was not to "overload" the filter when renewing it. A light coat of the oil was all that was needed. Again, they've worked great for me in the past and I plan on getting one for the HHR when they come out.

CBL

adamlowery 03-08-2006 01:57 PM

They are out.

SoCalHHR 03-08-2006 06:03 PM

Just a head's up; the stock replacement filter is out, but not an entire intake system.

Clarke33 03-08-2006 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by NY HHR

If my local mom & pop parts house can get it in 2 days, here in little ole Owens Cross Roads, Alabama, surely living in NY they can get it as quickly.
I think mine was around $34 or $35.

dan-d 03-09-2006 12:52 PM

I've almost alway's used K&N Filters and have been very happy with them. But recently I've been doing research on the various oils, oil filters, and air filters, from independant labs and was shocked at what they're saying. Although the K&N rates very good (especially over paper) the foam type (like ITG) actually out perform the K&N (and other gauze type both oil and oiless) filters in both air flow and filtering.

Both Mobile one oil and oil filters are in the top three, so I'll stick with M1.

SoCalHHR 03-09-2006 01:13 PM

That's why we are going with AEM. Their oiless paper filters can flow twice the required airflow for each application without pressure dropping. This means the element will always provide more than adequate flow for your engine - even after you start modifying it. They also filter down to 1 micron (99.4% efficiency), and cleaning them is very simple.

Of course, no oiling is a big plus too! :thumb:

adamlowery 03-09-2006 01:24 PM

I can't wait till we can get one. Im pretty sure this was asked before but is aem doing it for both engines?

SoCalHHR 03-09-2006 05:12 PM

It will work on both models. I am going down to AEM next week to get the "first article" test fitted. It has already been test fit on the 5-speed and is nearing final production status.

More details when they are available...

O6ChevyHHR 03-09-2006 07:15 PM

is there a cold air intake in the make?

rhoss1 05-27-2006 01:36 PM

I order me a k&n filter for my new 2006 hhr, Will be getting on the 31st by fedx.

rhoss1